Backend Software Engineer - Node.js at Lessonly () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-16 05:01:10
This position may work in the Lessonly office in Indianapolis, IN or remotely from any of the following states: Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, Virginia or Washington.
We are a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds who value our culture. Individually, we strive to be humble, hungry, and people-smart. As a team we put learners first, we share before we are ready, we ask clarifying questions, we highlight what’s working, we have difficult conversations, we get agreements, and we make time for life. These aren’t just slogans we put on the wall…we love and live by our culture.
So, if you are a hungry engineer who is looking to jump on a path of continuous learning, continuous improvement, and a team that values impacting real people in a real way… look no further, you may be a llama and just don’t know it yet.
The candidate will be most successful in this role if they have a desire to grow in our entire stack but specialize immediately in the backend. Specifically, a love for Node.js, SQL and APIs will take you a long way!
Candidates for this role will typically have at least 2 years of experience building production software, but if you've gained equivalent experience in another way, we'd still love to talk.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Backend Engineering (80%)
- Backend engineering on this team includes the following server-side tech stack; Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL with Apollo Server, Postgres, Sequelize, Jest and whatever comes next.
- We also integrate with our Core application written in Ruby on Rails with a PostgreSQL database
- This job will require the ability to write code according to our style guide which will include introducing new features, fixing bugs, authoring and modifying gems, as well as authoring and modifying core and supporting application functionality.
- Code Reviewer (20%)
- A strong peer review culture is incredibly important to us. Everyone strives to improve every day, and the code review process is vital to this goal.
- Essential Abilities
- You have experience building server-side tools, applications, APIs, or similar.
- You have experience writing and maintaining code with a team at scale.
- You have experience working closely with back-end engineers, designers, testers, and product managers.
- People skills, along with a desire to both learn and teach, are essential.
- You frequently ask clarifying questions about the intended impact of the work, weighing options, and devising creative solutions to complex problems.
- You take a big problem and decompose it into shippable chunks that can ensure all parties are aligned on the outcome.
- You are able to translate the non-technical business needs into a clear technical action plan and vice versa, seamlessly.
- You are known for the ability to make an estimate, establish a deadline collaboratively, and hit that mark.
- Server-side tech (especially Node.js, GraphQL, Postgres)
- Nice-to-have Abilities
- As demonstrated by having written production-quality integrations that involve JSON, XML, and open protocols such as SAML or xAPI.
- Client-side technologies (JS—React in particular—CSS, and HTML)
- Integration tech
- Health Insurance - Medical, vision, dental, and life plans available.
- Disability Insurance - Short-term and long-term coverage.
- Paid Parental Leave - Because time with your new baby llama is important.
- Unlimited PTO - We believe in making time for life, so we like to keep this benefit simple.
- 401k Plan - Save and prepare for the future with us.
- Equity - When we win as a team, you should win, too.
- Flexibility - What works best for you, works for us—whether that means you’re in the office, at a coffee shop, or at your kitchen table. We have llamas working in Indy and across the U.S. We also provide everyone with a tech stipend to keep their tech rocking and rolling smoothly.
- Work Happier - Our community is one of recognition and fun. From company-wide shoutouts to dogs in the office to our vibrant Slack workspace, we’re constantly collaborating and celebrating together.