First Mobile Engineer at Outschool () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-17 05:01:17
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Our business is growing explosively and as of August, 500,000 learners have taken more than over 2M class hours. We've already more than doubled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 70 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $57M since founding with most of that still in the bank. Our sales have grown 2000% in the past year to reach a run-rate of more than $100M.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise has become central to many more families and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
We are an effective team of engineers, getting a lot done by staying focused on the work that matters. We're iteratively building up a complex product for a highly engaged audience. We're now looking to build mobile applications for our learners, parents, and teachers, and are excited to bring on the first iOS native developer to help determine the future of mobile engineering at Outschool and deliver our first native apps. Our upcoming projects include building individual mobile applications for our learners, parents, and teachers.
We have a modern API/backend stack: GraphQL/Apollo for API layer, and Node/Express backed by PostgreSQL. We are looking for our first mobile engineer to help us build out our mobile stack.
- Design and implement the stack Outschool uses to develop mobile apps based on modern best practices
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to build engaging features and experiences for learners
- Identify opportunities to use native mobile capabilities to enable new features
- Work cross-functionally across Engineering pods and other departments across the company
- Ensure speed and quality by building modern pipelines for building, testing, deployment, and monitoring of mobile applications
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 8+ years of industry programming experience
- 5+ years modern iOS development experience, recent projects in Swift
- Implement pixel perfect UI/UX with advanced animations
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs and ability to extend them
- Using and introducing latest iOS development best practices
- Proven ability in peer-to-peer collaboration via pairing, documentation, and knowledge sharing
- Track record of ownership of technical projects
- Ability to write clean, readable code that performs at scale
- Previous experience in startups, especially edtech
- Passion for learning and education
- Have something to teach us
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health and Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO and Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Remote First: With over 50% of our team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.