Full Stack Developer (Data Portals Worldwide Project) at European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) (Hinxton, UK)
Location: Hinxton, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-20 05:00:37
The team provides data coordination services and data portals for partners around the world. With underlying infrastructure for these services based on EMBLs large and long standing data resources – this is an opportunity to rise to the challenges of ‘big data’ and make contributions that advance the reach and utility of sequence data through novel data presentation services.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the data presentation portals for two of our key data coordination collaborations, FAANG and the Aquatic Symbiosis Project.
For both of these projects you will design and extend software and data portals, including investigating and selecting appropriate technologies, to meet the data indexing and presentation needs of the projects and users. The data portals will include Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and bespoke data visualisation and presentation solutions. You will also support efforts for the development of standardised containerised workflows and cloud platform integration. You will work with teams from across EMBL-EBI and collaborate with expert scientists to provide innovative services.
- CI/CD pipelines
- Containerisation (Docker or similar) and orchestration
- RESTful APIs
- Proficiency with database connectivity. Relational and noSQL databases
- Experience in full software development cycle including design, implementation, testing, version control and deployment
- Willingness to learn new skills as the project requires
- Self-motivated and capable of working both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and English language skills
Why Join us:
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.