ICT Associate (GIS Software Developer) at UNOPS - The United Nations Office for Project Services (Valencia, Spain)
Location: Valencia, Spain
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-23 05:00:37
*** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE ITALIAN NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN ITALY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION *** The ICT Associate (GIS Software Developer) will work within the Service for Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies and Customer Support Delivery Section (CSDS) as Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) and .NET solutions assistant to design and develop integrated GIS solutions for UN Peace Keeping and other UN customers, in the United Nations Global Service Center (UNGSC) base in Brindisi, Italy. This is a position with UNOPS for supporting the Project Management Office (PMO) for programmes and projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat, UNGSC field missions and other supported entities.The incumbent of this position will be a UNOPS personnel and is under its full responsibility. Functional Responsibilities
Within the SGITT- GIS Unit and under the supervision of the ICT Senior Officer and operationally under the Client Solutions Delivery Manager the incumbents main responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Assists in refining user requirements and software requirement analysis for new solution functionality, bug fixes and solution enhancements
- Assists and collaborates with other team members in internal testing and preparation of test scenarios and scripts to automate solution testing and participate in unit, integration and User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Assists in the implementation of automated solution deployments of software releases using Azure DevOps, Octopus etc.
- Assists in the design of database instances for solutions under design and provide support to other team members
- Integrates UN security and Operational Resilience (OR) controls into developed solutions, making them in line with security rules and recommendations and enable solution’s resilience
- Prepares with other team members, solution documentation for testing, implementations, support, monitoring and user’s manuals
- Collaborates and works closely with other team members in delivering top quality software solutions and participates in solutions production implementation
- Assists in the solutions presentation and demos and coordinates with clients to improve functionalities and eliminate software bugs;
- Supports in the Analysis, development, testing and implementation of modern desktop and mobile applications
- Supports in the development of high quality GIS software solution modules using Agile and DevSecOps
- Assists in Data organization and structure optimization in databases used in applications as well as for Business Intelligence purposes (Power BI dashboards)
- Supports the implementation and runs solution testing procedures and scripts
- Supports the implementation of Software Quality Controls maintaining highest software development standards
- Supports in the creation of software technical and user documentation
- Supports the development and implementation of automated software delivery procedures.
- Performs other duties as may be required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results
The result of work of the ICT Associate (GIS Software Developer) impacts on the delivery of UNGSC. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the software development standards.Education/Experience/Language requirements* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY* CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLYEducation:
- High school diploma or equivalent is required;
- University Degree (Bachelor's or Master's Degree) in areas related to IT may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.
- PRINCE 2 certification is desirable.
- ITIL certificate is desirable.
- DevOps and Agile software development certifications are desirable.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience (depending on the level of education/training provided) in software development is required.
- Experience in relational database design and support, design of queries, stored procedures, triggers and database management scripts (MS SQL, MySQL) is highly desirable.
- Experience in GIS software development and integration of GIS services (ArcGIS, GeoCortex, Google map services, OpenSource map software and services, etc.) is highly desirable.
- Experience in developing mobile applications for Android and IOS is desirable.
- Experience in developing with Python and other high-level development languages is desirable.
- Experience in applying Agile and DevOps methodologies.
- Experience with data preparation for Business Intelligence (Power BI) dashboards is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills is a plus.
- For this position, fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.