Lead Data Engineer at Helm () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-27 05:00:10
Helm believes that a more equitable world will be built by people with organizing superpowers. To achieve this vision, we are building one seamless and intuitive platform that integrates data, tools, and experiences to give anyone those superpowers. We are designing and executing experiments to better understand human civic behavior, determine which interventions drive impact, and scale them toward a more participatory democracy. Our customers are organizations engaged in political and social advocacy that drive big change over the long-term using a portfolio of strategies on a multi-partisan basis. Most importantly, our customers believe that people organizing in their communities are the ultimate agents of durable change.
Helm is looking for a Lead Data Engineer to build out our expanding data infrastructure. Our product has most recently been centered in the CRM space, but we are looking to change that. Currently, we process millions of data points through multiple data pipelines to feed into a suite of databases. We are preparing for 10x growth both in the volume of data processed and the speed in which that data can be available and actionable. To accomplish this we are looking for someone who can build out highly scalable data solutions.
Issue advocates and organizers are our inspiration. Building with and for them is our mission. We are assembling a team that shares values with, learns alongside, and stands with the people who are doing the work to change the nation. So if you're highly motivated, super passionate about democracy, and want to join a team that is looking to build great things together, Helm may be for you. This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Director of Data Platform. Helm is a remote first company.
What you’ll be doing
You will own the design and delivery of a large scale data platform. In doing so, we expect you will demonstrate thought leadership in data infrastructure, database design, data governance and data operations. An important part of your responsibilities will be to provide day to day technical guidance and mentoring to highly talented data engineers, some of whom are at the senior level, who will work with you to develop a scalable, performant and reliable platform which powers all of our products and services.
Skills you should have
- 10+ years of experience overall, 3+ years as a Lead or Senior Data Engineer
- Demonstrable architecture, design and development skills on a few different large scale data platform implementations
- Outstanding SQL (any flavor)
- Outstanding Python development skills
- Outstanding skills building large scale streaming and batch data pipelines (e.g. Python, Java), with focus on performance, accuracy, reliability, traceability
- Outstanding skills building out data warehouse and/or data lake infrastructure
- Outstanding skills with data modeling and physical database design
- Outstanding skills with Big Data technologies (e.g. Spark, Presto, Kafka)
- Experience with SQL & NoSQL databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB)
- Experience on the AWS data stack (e.g. Lambda, Kinesis, Glue, RDS, Athena, Redshift etc.)
- Experience with DevOps, CI/CD pipelines and automated testing
Skills you could have
- Experience implementing data governance tools and best practices
- Experience implementing data security best practices (e.g. data encryption, tokenization, masking)
- Experience with Graph databases (e.g: Neo4j, Neptune)
- Experience with development using PHP
- Experience designing and building microservices (REST, GraphQL)
Helm is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity across all spectrums in its hiring, without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor. With that being said, we wouldn't be able to accommodate candidates in need of work sponsorship at this time since we are a small company. If you find this role interesting and you hit on the elements above, please apply!