Frontend Engineer at Unscene (Tokyo, Japan)
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-28 05:00:26
Unscene is expanding our team of passionate people who are revolutionizing how ideas are shared in 3D. Unscene is a simple and intuitive web based 3D presentation tool. Unscene's intuitive design makes it extremely easy for anyone to share their ideas in 3D. As a result, engineers, marketers and sales executives, especially in manufacturing and construction, use Unscene to create 3D based maintenance manuals, work instructions, sales presentations or promotion materials.
Our mission is to make sharing ideas in 3D simple for anyone. If you haven't already, check out these slides to learn more about us.
What you will do
- Work with the product team to understand user goals, design product features and build prototypes.
- Technical design and implementation of frontend architecture and UI components of Unscene.
- You will be an early team member in helping shape our future company culture, engineering practices, people we want to hire, and the direction and focus of our products.
What we are looking for
- 2+ years of statically typed programming language, with preference for TypeScript.
- Experience of web or native UI development, with preference for complex web UI.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of React.js experience.
- Experience with WebGL or OpenGL frameworks.
- Experience with 3D graphics programming.
- Previous startup experience.
- Working proficiency in Japanese and English.
How do I get in touch?
You can email us at [email protected]. We'll be in touch!
Who else works at Unscene?
We also have Rag as an engineering advisor.
Do people really need this product?
So far, over 500+ companies have pre-registered for Unscene. We are currently running a closed beta program with 20 companies.
What is your tech stack?
Our current prototype is built using the following. This is likely to change as the product evolves.
- Front-end: React, Bablyon.js
- Back-end: Java, Kotlin
- Infra: Google Cloud Platform
How my role will evolve as the company grows?
As the company grows, you will have the option to either take up managerial roles, or continue on the track of individual contributor, in the role of a senior engineer or tech lead.
Have you raised any money?
We have raised 63M JPY (around 580K USD) seed round from East Ventures, GREE Ventures and Apricot Ventures. East Ventures has a successful track record of investing in start ups such as Mercari, BizReach, Base, SmartHR among others in Japan, as well as Tokopedia and Traveloka in Indonesia.
Is Japanese language a requirement?
Japanese is not required, but preferred. All written communication is done in English.
Do you sponsor visa?
We can sponsor a visa. However due to COVID-19 related uncertainties, we prefer working with someone who is already here in Japan.
Do you work remotely?
We usually work from our office in Shibuya. Due to COVID-19 emergency declaration in Tokyo, we offer the flexibility to work either from our office or from your home. Prototyping a product like Unscene, as well as a building a company culture requires frequent feedback and communication, which is hard to achieve remotely. After the emergency declaration is lifted, we will be working mostly from our office. You can still work remotely on one or two days a week, if you choose to.
What's the interview process like?
- We will do a one hour call to get to know each other.
- Next, we will conduct two rounds of technical interviews, and a culture-fit interview (one hour each).
- After the interviews, preferably we like to work with you on a project for at least two weeks. (of course, we’d pay you for your time). Often working together for a bit is a great way to determine whether there’s a good match as future teammates and it can give you a lot of transparency.