Software Engineer at Worldline (Auckland, New Zealand)
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-29 05:00:33
Why we need you.
Our team is growing fast, and we need new people to help us develop our online apps and services. We’d like someone who can help us to build new features and extend and maintain our existing products, as well as help with proof of concept work and support our AWS infrastructure.
What you are going to be doing.
This is a Software Engineering role, working with a product-focused team. Although you’ll spend much of your time working with Java and Python, you’ll also be writing code in other languages and using a variety of technologies. You’ll be involved in all parts of the process, seeing features through from an idea to production. In a normal week though you can expect to be spending time on:
- Building new product features. We work in a cross-functional product-focused team. Each sprint we aim to see features from an idea through to something our customers can use.
- Defining architecture. You’ll be closely involved in defining the best way to build our software so that we can release fast, ensure easy maintenance and deliver value for our customers.
- Helping your team to be their best. There are always better ways to do things, whether by automating existing processes or improving the way we build and deliver our software. Your improvements will be essential to helping us to be our best.
- Developing proof of concepts. It can be hard to know the best way to build some features or whether an idea is at a stage ready to present to our customers. You’ll be helping to test out these ideas by building small proof of concepts that we can demonstrate to each other and to the Product team.
- Supporting the infrastructure. You’ll be responsible for seeing your software from end-to-end so you’ll also define its required cloud infrastructure. You’ll have access to production to deploy and support your software, and you’ll help to support things if they go wrong (but hopefully not…).
What we need you to be good at.
- Pragmatism – we favour getting things done over debating future requirements. The proof is in the code.
- Learning – you’ll be someone who’s always interested in learning new things, and in sharing that knowledge with others.
- Humility – we don’t expect you’ll know everything, but it’s good to know when to seek help.
- Shared ownership – you’ll create software in a way that’s shared with the team, ensuring that others are involved in creating and maintaining this software.
- Communication – you’ll be working with a variety of different people within and outside of Paymark, so you’ll need to be good at listening to different views and communicating yours to others.
What you can expect from your team.
The Digital Technology team at Paymark is made up of Software Engineers, QA Engineers and Platform Engineers, working in close collaboration with the Architecture and Product teams. We work across product-focused squads to deliver new features to our customers, working together in sprint cycles to deliver these. Everything we do is in the cloud – and we work hard to automate everything we can to make our releases fast and painless, and to create easy to maintain software that delivers value to our customers. We’re a close team from a variety of backgrounds, with lots of team activities and learning opportunities.
Who you will work with outside your team.
Mostly you’ll be working closely with members of the development squad day-to-day.
As you interact with our (primarily AWS) platform you may lean on the Platform Operations team for a bit of advice if you need it. Our Solution Architects will help you to ensure you’re building things that will play nicely with the platform.
Depending on what you’re working on you can also expect to interact with customers and other third parties as we work out the best way to deliver functionality for them.
Do you qualify?
- A tertiary qualification in computing, engineering or other analytical discipline that relates to the IT industry and/or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years’ experience as a software development engineer.
- Strong team, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Strong audience tuned written, documentation and oral skills.
- Demonstrable experience with the software development life cycle, e.g. Agile / DevOps.
- Strong knowledge of Java, Python and Unix-like operating systems.
- Ideally, knowledge of common web based and mobile technologies/platforms.
- A good understanding of databases and database application frameworks (ideally MySQL)
- Competent with version control concepts, especially Git.
- Knowledge of development tools, automation, scripting and how these apply to the concepts of continuous integration/deployment/delivery and agile software development.
- Knowledge of cloud-based platforms, ideally AWS.
- Ideally, knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of industry standard internet protocols (HTTP, TLS).
- Ideally, understanding of good API design.
- Ideally, knowledge of industry standard encryption standards and protocols and how to use these securely.
The Formal Stuff:
- Department – Digital Technology
- Reporting to – Software Engineering Lead, Digital
Plus any other tasks that Paymark may reasonably ask you to complete. You acknowledge that your role may develop to include other tasks in addition to those listed above.