Staff Frontend Architect (m/f/d) - remote possible at Jimdo (Hamburg, Germany) (allows remote)
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-01 05:00:39
Staff Frontend Architect (m/f/d)
At Jimdo, our mission is to help small businesses start, grow, and ultimately thrive online. Small businesses face new challenges with very little support or recognition. We know how hard this can be, because we have been in their position. That’s where you can help us—by designing intuitive tools to help small businesses solve complex problems.
With a forward-leaning and self-driven attitude, we continue to find new ways to help our customers get their ideas out into the world. As a team, we run at a steady pace to achieve what we aim for. We learn best by gathering data, trying new things, and sometimes even falling down along the way. It’s the lessons we learn in the process that make us better problem-solvers for small business owners.
If you’re motivated by our mission and excited to roll up your sleeves, try new things, learn from mistakes, and make a difference to small businesses around the world, we would love to work with you.
We are happy to invite you to work with us in our office in Hamburg or permanently remote from your current location. Wherever your working location of choice will be, we will make sure you get proper onboarding (virtual or in person) and that you are fully equipped to become part of the team from day one.
Regarding candidates who want to relocate to Hamburg: Due to COVID our offices are temporarily closed. We will invite you to start working with us from your current location for the time being. Once the borders are reopened, and the embassies accept visa applications again, we will initiate the relocation process to Hamburg. Until then, you will be invited to work with us remotely with a temporary contract.
- Lead the oversight of the organization-wide Frontend architecture.
- Enable teams to be independent, flexible, and fast in their stack decisions while assuring alignment and unification of the cross-company Frontend stack.
- Strive to a state of easy integration of new (cross-team) features and swift onboarding of new developers.
- Advice on monitoring and tooling (also automated Frontend QA), as well as processes.
- Consult the engineering team with ongoing projects. Help them align solutions.
- Have oversight of ongoing projects and their integration into the architectural landscape.
- Lead the research and experiment with various technologies, and provide recommendations based on your findings.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvement at the architecture level.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Motivate and support cross-team initiatives.
- Provide mentoring when needed.
- Directly report to the head of engineering.
- You have taken part in designing the architecture of at least one production Frontend application.
- You have failed at least once in doing the above.
- You are a great team player that believes in accountability.
- You are an excellent communicator.
- You owned a lead role in cross-team Frontend projects.
- You have created department-wide standards and architecture to allow the best balance between the standardizing stack and team independence.
- You had, and you were also working on transferring the knowledge of the Frontend’s architectural landscape between more than one team.
- You believe in producing valid CSS and (also semantic) HTML.
- You also have experience with accessibility.
- You have experience building fast websites, and take care of performance monitoring and optimization.
- Main competencies: React, Typescript.
Nice to have
- Specific experience in WCAG 2.1 standards.
- Experience with end-to-end testing (e.g., Testcafé, Cypress).
- You have an understanding of interface design / UX.
- In-depth knowledge of leading market browsers.
Jimdo is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate based on race or ethnic origin, color, the language(s) you speak, where you (or your parents) are from, or whether or not you consider yourself to have a disability. Neither will your age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, beliefs, or political opinions play a part in your application with us. We’re a diverse team in so many ways, and we love it that way.