(Senior) Java Backend Developer (all genders) at Goodgame Studios (Hamburg, Deutschland)
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-04 05:00:25
Our live games team is searching for an experienced (Senior) Java Backend Developer (all genders) to work closely with our game design and monetization teams and develop new and outstanding gameplay features. Do you combine excellent coding skills and a DevOps mindset with the ability to think outside the box and want to achieve an amazing gameplay experience for our 500 million users? Join us now and push our live games to the next level!
Abou the job
- Build new and exciting gameplay features and content keeping our online player base constantly engaged
- Work closely with the game design and monetization teams to ensure that all gameplay features meet the functional requirements and swiftly adapt to changes based on internal feedback, community reception, and big data analytics
- Keep the creative teams familiar with technical capabilities and limitations but push the envelope wherever feasible
- Refactor and modify existing and legacy features to accommodate new adjustments and dynamic content addition while increasing maintainability and modularity of our growing codebase
- Take responsibility for live operations with a DevOps mindset. Identify and mitigate weak points in stability and performance
- You have a strong software engineering background and are used to having an active role in designing, implementing and running end-user facing production code with real-world load and uptime requirements
- You have an in-depth understanding of Java and are fluent in at least one other common general-purpose programming language, preferably Node.js. You also know your way around a linux command line (bash)
- You have a proven track record in writing concurrent code and providing solutions that scale
- You have a good understanding of relational database management systems (MySQL, MariaDB)
- Ideally you combine the former points with a DevOps mindset and a focus on stability, security, observability and maintainability of your solutions regardless of the underlying technology. You are familiar with the tools of the trade beyond programming languages or have the desire to improve your skillset in parallel with our CI/CD pipeline
- First experience with AWS Cloud native technologies (Lambda, DynamoDB, Api-Gateway, Serverless framework) is welcome
- Your English, both verbal and written, is fluent. German is welcome but not required
- We’re focused on one mission: to make our successful MMO games technologically fit for 2021 and beyond. (Imagine re-building an A320 while in the air).
- Our legacy codebase has been around for a decade, keeping our players happy and engaged, but also outlasting the many hands that built it over the years. We respect it, but it comes with debt. We refactor it, trim it, or build around it.
- We run mission-critical functionality as serverless micro-services, all while feeding our huge Java monolith that just kept growing over the years, building for the future while respecting our past.
- Clearly this isn’t for everyone. It’s for the daring, the creative, the out-of-the-box-thinkers, the experienced, the multi-linguists, the hungry, the curious, the foolish, the getting-sh*-done-ers.
- Core Backend: Java 8, Java 11, Spring IoC
- Core Persistence: MySQL
- Serverless Backend: AWS Lambda (Node.js); SNS/SQS; API Gateway
- Modern Persistence: DynamoDB, Aurora Serverless, Elasticache
- Build & Deployment: Maven, Jenkins, Gitlab
- Testing: jUnit, Mockito, Mocha/Chai, JEST
- Monitoring: ELK; Grafana; AWS Cloudwatch
- You join a supportive team in a pragmatic, yet challenging environment, with short communication processes and flat hierarchies, perfect for growing your skills.
- You will be working with multidisciplinary colleagues from the entire production lifecycle, developing and operating two very successful free-to-play games on mobile and web.
- The team has many years of experience with live operations and a long-term strategy that keeps the players' excitement and engagement in mind.
- Yet we are not set in our ways. We value employee contribution and you can have a real impact on the way we develop and operate our games.
- While it's critical to keep our games running 24/7, we take work-life balance very seriously: We're proud to say that crunch-time is a very rare exception.