Senior Frontend Engineer at Mentimeter (Stockholm, Sweden)
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-04 05:01:29
Mentimeter's vision is to transform presentations and meetings into fun and interactive experiences by making it easy to listen and to be heard. We believe in giving everyone a voice, in every meeting and presentation. We are building a modern, friendly, and diverse product-first tech company based in Stockholm and we would love for you to join us!
As a Frontend Engineer at Mentimeter, you will be an integral part of a cross-function team implementing designs and user experiences that will affect millions of people all over the world. You should be curious about how to build fast, intuitive, and well-performing user interfaces with modern technologies in a team together with designers and developers.
As a senior engineer, we believe one of your priorities will be to enable your junior/mid-level colleagues to grow. With your experience, you will bring a long-term perspective to building software and while implementing new features you will keep in mind the long-term stability of our system and the quality of the code. You understand, and can advocate for, the need to choose the right tool for the job in question rather than pushing for one size fits all.
You will try to strike a good balance between discovery and implementation work, between new customer-facing features and managing tech debt and technical initiatives.
We are in an exciting phase where the platform must evolve in order to ensure continued scalability of the product and an edge compared to our competitors. We are, for example, currently rolling out our own design system to all of our products, growing our test suite and maintaining our shared code in a monolithic repository.
Since Employee Experience (also known as Developer Experience) is very important to us, we hope that you will raise your voice by influencing which tools, programming languages, and technologies you work with while helping us ensure we have a smooth software pipeline for continuous and fast delivery.
What you'll do:
- Implement and maintain features in our presentation and voting platforms.
- Pay attention to detail to ensure the quality of code.
- Write automated unit and browser tests.
- Work together with other developers and designers.
- Research, design and implement new user-friendly features together with taking important architectural decisions that ensure performance and scalability of our platform and development environment.
- Work together with the team's Product Manager to organize and plan the backlog with a Kanban/Scrum-mixed process.
- Spend time on things like coaching, leading/facilitating code reviews and pair/mob programming sessions, onboarding new engineers and holding/facilitating workshops/sessions around areas such as code quality, refactoring, performance, testability and working with tests and service-oriented architecture.
Skills & Requirements
We believe you agree with us that up-skilling others is a core task for a senior engineer and hopefully you have a history of mentoring others. Another important way of up-skilling others is through knowledge sharing. We would love it if you want to do this in some way. Maybe you like writing blog posts and/or articles, maybe you prefer public speaking or maybe you are more comfortable facilitating internal knowledge sharing sessions. Or perhaps you take a more hands-on approach and prefer 1:1 technical mentoring.
We believe you have:
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience, mainly in React.
- Experience with writing test-driven frontend code - exactly which framework doesn't matter.
- Experience in some of the techniques we use (see below).
- Been an active participant in successful web development projects.
- We work in small, independent, self-organizing teams, so great communication skills and team spirit are key to thriving at Mentimeter.
Technologies you'll be exposed to at Mentimeter:
- AWS Redshift
- Fela (CSS-in-js)
- AWS Lambda
- In addition to being a good cultural fit, we hope that you bring a passion for software development, scalable architecture and building great products. For us, is it important that everyone cares about code quality so an interest in testing and automation is needed. Excellent communication skills and being able to work both independently and in a team are some other traits we are looking for in all of our colleagues.
- Swedish not required - we are an English-first company, daily work is carried out in English and the Mentimeter team currently spans 20 different nationalities!
- Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
Mentimeter Culture:The work environment is inclusive, respectful, non-political, fun and very professional. We make sure to excel when we need to, but never overdo it in order to maintain our work-life balance. With over 20 different nationalities currently working at Mentimeter, this is one of many ways we show that we embrace diversity. To embrace other cultures we also re-locate the entire team one month, once a year.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our team page.
We at Mentimeter believe in giving everyone a voice - regardless of who you are. So we build a platform that does just that. Our platform is not only our product but also our organization. A platform where people feel safe, where differences are embraced, a place where you can have fun. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people, and a college degree is not strictly required. In order to give everyone a voice, we need to be as diverse as our users.