Service Engineer for Cloud Infrastructure and Data Services at Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH (Jülich, Deutschland)
Location: Jülich, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-05 05:00:14
Supercomputers help us find solutions to major scientific challenges and are indispensable for modern research. The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) operates the most powerful computer systems for scientific and technical applications in Europe and makes it available for research purposes to scientists at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany, and throughout Europe. JSC performs various research and development tasks, frequently in tight cooperation with national and international partners.
The department “Federated Systems and Data” at JSC develops and operates software for data analysis, data management and access to distributed storage and computer systems together with scientific users and participates in relevant national and international initiatives and projects on various research topics.
We are looking to recruit a
Service Engineer for Cloud Infrastructure and Data Services
In many scientific disciplines the evaluation and management of large data sets plays a central role. In the team at JSC, you will work together with European partners in various research fields on an interdisciplinary basis. In particular, you will collaborate within EU-funded projects to build the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). You will:
- Analyze, optimize, and adapt infrastructure and data services
- Develop tools to support the operation of the infrastructure and data services
- Support research groups in using infrastructure and data services
- Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle in your team
- University degree (master) in computer science, mathematics, natural sciences or a related subject, or a comparable education (e.g. mathematical-technical software developer, IT specialist)
- Knowledge of or experience in the field of authentication and authorization services and protocols, e.g. SAML, OAuth, OIDC, and/or experiences in file hosting services, e.g. Nextcloud
- Knowledge of Web Services and distributed systems, the Linux operating system, and Bash scripting
- Personal initiative as well as willingness to cooperate intensively with developers and users from science and industry
- Good command of English, written and spoken
- Knowledge of common programming tools and software distribution systems (e.g. Docker, EasyBuild)
- Experience in software development and programming with languages such as Python
- Knowledge of the OpenStack software platform and its components
- Written and spoken German language skills
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- Outstanding research and computing infrastructures in one of Europe’s largest supercomputing facilities
- Versatile range of tasks in a committed, experienced team
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The employment is limited until 31.12.2023. Salary and social benefits are in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form.
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.