Staff Engineer, Core Services - Platform at MasterClass (San Francisco, CA)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-05 05:00:30
Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
About the Platform Core Services Engineering Team:
MasterClass Engineering ships code in a continuous delivery model for product features, experimentation, business growth, content delivery, and algorithms that power our platform. Platform Engineering’s mission is to build the technology ecosystem that powers our entire product architecture, including the core technology stack, software architecture, frameworks, deployment infrastructure, and mission-critical application services for all of MasterClass Engineering.
We are undertaking architecturally-significant, transformational projects to help us scale our services and infrastructure, and enhance our technical maturity as the business and teams continue to grow. Platform Engineering handles the difficult and challenging engineering problems facing our consumer-centric, media business, enabling the product teams to focus on business objectives. We focus on the low-level challenges such as the transformation of our web application with ReactJS and NextJS, software architecture patterns across web, mobile, and TV appliances, edge computing, image optimization services, video optimization services, experimentation framework, internationalization, global network optimization, distributed caching framework, setting standards and best practices, and API strategy.
What we are looking for:
- An Engineering leader to drive critical architecture decisions and implementations for the MasterClass Platform
- Scrappy, entrepreneurial spirit who can distill ambiguity into actionable plans, and work independently without supervision
- Strong thought-partner to help build and grow a world-class Engineering organization
- Curious mind who has a passion for discovering our customer needs and creating value through product innovation
What you will do:
- Play a pivotal role in developing our core system frameworks and components that enable our Engineering teams
- Leading and mentoring junior engineers
- Building highly available, fault tolerant systems
- Participate in recruiting activities to build a world-class engineering team
- 8+ years of relevant software engineering experience, building mission-critical, scalable, highly-available systems
- B.S. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant technical work experience
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures and server side systems
- Experience in modern web technologies such as Java, Go, Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Redis, and Kafka
- Experience in developing low-latency, secure, distributed systems, hosted in cloud platforms, such as AWS, GCP, Azure, or IBM Cloud
- Bonus: familiarity with modern compute paradigms including serverless implementations
- Creative thinker who enjoys fast-paced environments and is able to work through ambiguity
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.