Software Development Manager at TESCO PLC (Kraków, Poland) (allows remote)
Location: Kraków, Poland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-07 05:00:27
About Tesco Technology - Colleague Eventing Platform team
In Colleague Eventing Platform, we build integration platform, that enables multiple internal and external systems to integrate smoothly. With this platform, we avoid multiple p2p connections between systems and applications. Platform, that you will be responsible for, provides 100% guaranteed delivery, allows to track down every single message, and allows its customers to focus on their core business, instead of thinking “how do I integrate?”.
We take responsibility for the software through its entire lifecycle. We practice continuous integration and delivery and support our code through to production and beyond.
As a Software Development Manager, you’ll be leading an agile team of industry leading engineers upon Tesco’s Colleague Eventing Platform. You will be responsible for the future direction of the platform, solving problems, encouraging your team and developing new features through quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions. The solutions that you and your team will be responsible for will have a global reach, impacting hundreds of thousands of Tesco colleagues.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Foster careers of engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Regular 1-2-1s with all direct reports.
- Build and nurture effective, high performant teams that consistently deliver quality software whilst balancing time frames and needs.
- Adopt best practices in software engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, monitoring and operations. Build flexible systems choosing simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
- Represent CEP project within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups and be effective in doing so by constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with program management to deliver more significant outcomes.
- Remain a hands on coder; review and contribute code.
- Lead and evangelize team focus on performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Contribute to the definition of features for services owned by your team.
- Continuously improve yourself and your team by suggesting and helping implement new Engineering processes and practices.
- Mentor less experienced developers.
- Effectively communicate your and your team’s progress to your team members, your Manager and wider Tesco colleagues.
- JVM (Java, Kotlin) as your main area of expertise;
- Messaging systems, like Kafka or ActiveMQ;
- Knowledge of design patterns and engineering best practices;
- Docker and Kubernetes;
- Cloud platform (Microsoft Azure or equivalent);
- CI/CD tooling (Jenkins or equivalent);
- Python – nice to have.
- Previous Experience with management of software engineering teams of 6+ people.
- 2+ years of commercial software development experience in JVM ecosystem.
- Experience of running and supporting software in production (dev-ops approach).
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
- Designing and developing systems for high availability and scalability.
- Experience working within an e-commerce or at-scale business where security, availability and reliability are valued.
- Depth of professional software engineering experience and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.