Senior Software Developers- Java/Python at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, UK)
Location: Hinxton, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-12 05:00:17
Are you a Senior Software Developer with a desire to make a difference? Looking for a great team working to change how bioscience is done?
The High Throughput Spatial Genomics (HTSG) team at the Sanger Institute, the University of Newcastle and the Open Microscopy Environment at the University of Dundee are embarking on an exciting collaboration as part of the Human Cell Atlas to develop a cellular atlas of embryonic human development. This project will combine single cell and imaging-based transcriptomic approaches to map the cellular architecture of the human embryo at unprecedented resolution. Furthermore, we aim to establish experimental and computational workflows that can be widely applied to diverse cell atlasing projects.
About the Role:
We are seeking Senior Software Developers to help construct this globally unique resource. Our goal is to make these critical data a critical reference for the scientific community. This role will focus on the construction of data formats, backend storage mechanisms and APIs that will be the foundation for this atlas.
You will join a team of supportive Senior Software Developers based in Cambridge, Newcastle and Dundee. We work together to deliver unique, world-leading applications that are the heart of many scientists’ work. We value collaboration, and thrive on creativity and well-designed code. We passionately follow open source development and licensing and make major contributions to Bio-Formats and OMERO, software applications that are installed in thousands of labs around the world. We maintain the Image Data Resource, one of the largest biomedical imaging repositories worldwide. We are also now taking on the challenge to build a new human development atlas and need your help!
You will work independently to deadlines but also collaborate closely with team members and other researchers based in the UK, Germany, Japan, the USA and elsewhere.
We value the diversity of employees, students, visitors and collaborators on our shared campus and we have in place a range of policies and benefits to provide a supportive and inclusive environment.
You can find out more about working at the Wellcome Sanger Institute as a Software Developer here
- Experience with client-server application development in Java or Python
- Excellent programming skills balancing performance with stable APIs
- Experience with Linux, Mac OS X or any proprietary Unix flavour
- Strong collaborative skills with an eye towards efficiency and creativity
- Be a champion of equality, diversity and inclusion and work collaboratively with a range of different stakeholders
- Self -motivated with the ability to work independently and organise own workload
• Database experience (preferably PostgreSQL);• Microservice experience (preferably Vert.x);• Experience with one or more of HDF5, NetCDF, Zarr, N5, TileDB• Experience in an open source development project;• Cloud computing and/or containerisation platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, Docker, OpenStack)• Search technology (Elasticsearch, Sparql, schema.org or other JSON-LD dialects)
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role addressing the criteria set out above and in the job description.
Also, please send us your GitHub profile, repositories you’re proud of, apps you have created (these are optional).