Backend Engineer at trivago N.V. (Düsseldorf, Germany)
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-13 05:00:07
trivago Express Booking allows users to pay for their hotel or apartment on trivago directly. It is a free, fully responsive booking funnel designed to optimize the payment experience for trivago users across all devices, and therefore increase booking conversion. Express Booking enables Advertisers (online travel agencies and hotel chains) to have quick expansion into new markets while promoting their brand throughout the entire booking pathway.
To unleash this powerful product we’re looking for a talented Software Engineer to collaborate with other backend engineers, frontend, Quality Assurance, User Experience, Product Managers and Account Managers and develop this product further.
We have a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity to shape the future of the travel industry and we want you to be part of it. Can we count you in?
What you’ll do:
- Work hands on with our very challenging payments and booking processes.
- Interact daily with other backend engineers, frontend, Quality Assurance, User Experience, Product Managers and Account managers, to bring live and maintain (advertiser) integrations.
- Develop, record and maintain cutting edge web-based applications and services, written in PHP & GO.
- Write clean, maintainable and testable code, while preparing and maintaining all applications utilizing standard development tools.
- Own your codebase: participate in architecture, workow and design decisions and other improvements for maintainability and scalability.
- Set up efficient and high-performing database queries in SQL.
- Keep yourself up to date with new programming languages, trends and/or technologies, and with that knowledge optimise our tech stack, architecture and tools.
Our technology stack:
What you’ll definitely need:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a software engineer.
- You are happy to speak your mind and collaborate with others regarding software architecture, project risks and product vision.
- You are willing to continually improve both your soft skills and technical skills.
- Excellent understanding of PHP or GO, PHP MVC frameworks, building RESTful web services, as well as working with Docker and container orchestration.
- Excellent relational database skills with MySQL.
What we’d love you to have:
- Experience with SPA and related front-end frameworks such as React.js.
- Experience migrating legacy applications, as we are moving to all new technologies.
- Experience with GraphQL and/or NoSQL.
- Experience with Travis, Jenkins or similar.
What you can expect from life at trivago:
Entrepreneurship: The freedom to take ownership of your work and drive initiatives independently. It’s the idea that counts, not the position. Growth: Support for your development, constant new opportunities, regular peer feedback, mentorship and training.International workforce: Collaboration with international talents from 80+ nations bringing different perspectives, backgrounds and expertise together to ensure a truly global focus.Flexibility: Self-determined working hours and the opportunity to split your time between home and our campus in Düsseldorf: At least 2 days on campus and 3 days at home per week. Relocation and integration: Support with relocation costs, work permit and visa questions, insurance and free language classes.Equal opportunity: Commitment to creating an all-inclusive workplace, because we know representing the diversity of our users in our talent base enables us to create a more meaningful product.
A note regarding COVID-19:
We understand that there is a lot of uncertainty around the future of the travel industry. If you want more insight into our current strategy and outlook, follow our LinkedIn company updates.
Our recruiting team will be on hand every step of the way, but if you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].
We look forward to your application!