Senior DevOps Engineer (Remote) at McDonald's Corporation (Chicago, IL)
Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-13 05:00:47
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.
McDonald’s, one of the most recognized brands in the world, is seeking a skilled Senior DevOps Engineer to own the transformation and ongoing evolution of our Point of Sale (POS) and Restaurant
In this strategy and transformation focused role, you will partner with our Product Management and Architecture teams to define and lead all aspects of execution of the forward-looking vision of McDonald’s POS and Restaurant Technologies and the high-value transformation initiatives that will fuel our journey. Additionally, you will be the primary owner of our relationship with our 3rd party engineering vendors.
That said, the biggest area of increase in our spending has been in technology, which is helping to drive our growth. We’re looking at how to use technology to improve the customer experience and build new customer experiences. We’re also exploring technologies that can help us reduce or eliminate repetitive tasks and make employees’ jobs more interesting and rewarding. With all the new projects and initiatives, it is an exciting time to be on the team that is helping to make a Better McDonald's!
- Lead all aspects of development, mentoring and training of staff.
- As a DevOps engineer on a team, you will play a pivotal role in crafting the definition, vision, design, road map and development of product features from beginning to end.
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security.
- Educate and advise Senior Management, comprising resources from the Business and Functional disciplines and IT business and operations functions around data management best practices and resulting benefits, to achieve their objectives; resolve issues called out from all data management partners
- Work in an agile, startup-like development environment, where you are always working on the most meaningful priorities.
- 8+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- Application development experience in any programming language, preferably java, c#,.net
- Excellent coding and scripting skills (Bash, Groovy) and experience with implementing high-scale cloud architectures using modern, cloud-based container platforms (PaaS/SaaS)
- Solid understanding of deployment automation solutions (i.e. Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure (AWS) and cluster management tools like Kubernetes (AWS EKS)
- Experience with containers such as Docker
- Experience with continuous integration and related tools such as Jenkins Pipelines, Git, Sonar, etc.
- Experience with writing Terraform scripts
- Experience with implementing Service Mesh with Istio
- Experience working with API Gateway
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, are self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with rolling out automated Canary deployments on AWS using Istio and Flagger preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent years of experience.