Manager of Application Development (Remote - Texas) at SSENSE () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:00:08
SSENSE, pronounced [es-uhns], is a Montreal-based fashion platform with global reach. Founded in 2003, SSENSE is pacing the vanguard of directional retail with a mix of luxury, streetwear, and avant-garde labels. We produce industry-leading original content and take pride in building our own technology solutions and systems from scratch. Our field of focus has grown beyond that of a typical e-commerce entity as we explore the nexus of content, commerce, and culture.
Currently serving 150 countries, generating an average of 88 million monthly page views, and achieving high double digit annual growth since inception, SSENSE is becoming a cultural protagonist in its own right.
*This is a remote position within Texas
Reporting to the Director of Application Development, the Manager of Application Development will lead a growing team of results-driven Tech Leads and Software Developers, advancing and expanding the SSENSE portfolio of applications. The ideal candidate has the ability to see the big picture from both a technical and business perspective, leadership skills to motivate the team, and the foresight to help strategize and drive the team in delivering corporate objectives. As a key player, this role provides the opportunity to make an impact on our development and QA efforts, while influencing the product strategy and direction.
- Manage application development teams from initial inception of ideas to delivery
- Provide leadership and guidance to hire, coach, motivate, and lead a performance-driven team of highly skilled Tech Leads and Software Developers to achieve their full potential
- Work closely with the development teams to architect and implement best-in-class technical designs and approaches
- Ensure technical and quality standards are enforced throughout the software development lifecycle
- Facilitate the day-to-day activities of the development teams within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance
- Ensure successful and functional on-boarding of new developers
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years experience managing teams to deliver complex applications, including 3 years relevant experience with Agile software development methodologies
- A minimum of 3 years experience with software development best practices, including coding standards and code reviews
- A minimum of 2 years experience working in a service oriented architecture
- Familiarity with project management principles, PMP certificate an asset
- Experience with source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of relational and nonrelational databases, web technologies and web analytics tools
- Experience with AWS, Google Cloud Platform, or other PaaS based solutions
- Knowledge of a broad range of modern programming languages including PHP, Node.js, Java, ReactJS/React-Native, Objective-C and Swift
- Highly analytical and detail oriented
- Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Strong leadership, project management, time management, and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work within rigorous deadlines
- Strong business acumen
- Team player with solid interpersonal skills
WORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering.
WORLD CLASS TEAMThe SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe.
WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.
Read more about us on our SSENSE Tech Blog.