Senior Backend Software Engineer (Remote) at Impala () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:00:50
Thanks for checking out our job description for a Backend Software Engineer at Impala.
At Impala we're making the world a better place for guests, hotels, and online travel agents of any size. Think Twilio or Plaid for Travel.
The Salary we're offering for this role starts between £70k - £110k, depending on seniority.
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
Brace yourself for some bullet points:
- You'll be a key contributor to our API and data ingestion platform, ensuring that it keeps scaling smoothly as we rapidly add more users and features.
- You will be given a lot of responsibility for evolving the infrastructure and picking the right tools for the job.
- Mentor other team members through pair programming, code reviews, and ad-hoc assistance.
- You will work closely with other engineers but also product and business teams to deliver a product that’s technically first-class and loved by our customers.
- Have significant decision making power on the technologies and architecture that we use to build the platform.
You should join us if you:
Brace yourself for more bullet points:
- Have experience working on a large-scale platform, handling large volumes of data throughput.
- Have strong experience with Node.js and good knowledge of JS fundamentals.
- Have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, as well as queuing systems.
- Are comfortable working closely with product owners and other engineers to define the best way to implement features with high technical standards.
- You share our organisational vision of democratising travel and enabling innovation across an entire industry.
- You share our passion for the highest-quality code and won’t settle for anything less.
- You thrive on excellence, autonomy and questioning conventional wisdom.
What Is Impala?
At Impala we make it ridiculously easy for innovators to integrate with hotels, via our (frankly delightful..) API’s.
This democratises access for hotels and innovators alike, enabling and encouraging more innovation in travel. We believe the industry can, should and will do better, and we're going to be at the centre of that... Bring on the travel tech revolution!
We're currently a team of 70 in total. Since December we have 10x’ed our number of hotels (now up to 2000), launched two new products and 20x’ed the load on our services. This has required us to almost double our tech team over the same period (now 30), and we’re only just scratching the surface of all that we want to achieve.
This is where you come in, there are big challenges a-plenty as we scale up and evolve, which are going to require some talented folks to solve.
You’ll be joining an intrepid team of 30, led by our VP of Engineering Ed Taylor. The team is currently split into 4 squads, each formed to tackle a particular business problem, with an engineering and product manager at the helm.
Where will you work?
We are a remote-first and asynchronous company. This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance and accommodating the best people in Europe, whilst also fostering diversity.
We employ anyone within +/- 2h from GMT, timezone wise for now (expanding globally in the future).
You can check out everything we offer to set up your perfect remote work environment here.
And if Relocation excites you - we offer (and encourage!) that opportunity too.
We also have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, whose role is, amongst other things, to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and feel empowered whilst working remotely.
What Will You Get In Return?
As a member of the Impala team, you’ll have access to our best-in-class benefits package. You can find out more here.
Want to hear more from our VP Engineering? Read about his experience here.
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.