Senior Software Engineer at Vista Higher Learning (Boston, MA) (allows remote)
Location: Boston, MA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:00
We're life-long learners, creative thinkers, technology enthusiasts and innovators redefining the way world languages are learned and taught in interactive and intuitive environments. We love what we do and we're proud of the customer-facing products we create! Our industry leading platform and millions of users are a testament to the passion and commitment we bring to developing the best online learning experience for language education! If you share that passion for being the best, we want to talk! Our ideal candidate looks for creative solutions, is continually learning, and loves to develop best-in-class solutions to complex technical challenges.
We're looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer with strong Ruby on Rails knowledge and experience in AWS or other cloud-based deployments. You will participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle - from project planning & design, to implementation and release. We are a highly collaborative team that prizes those looking not just to deliver projects, but do so with fun and in continually better ways.
Our technology stack:
- Languages/Frameworks: Ruby/Rails, JS, Vue
- Persistence: MySQL, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Automation: Chef, Cloudformation
- Hosting: AWS
What you bring to the party:
- BA/ BS in computer science or other related field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years engineering experience developing large-scale systems
- Experience in ed-tech or education fields, a strong plus
- Experience building and deploying high-capacity applications in cloud environments (AWS or GCP)
- Strong command of Ruby on Rails, Java, or Python
- Experience with SQL, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, CodeBuild & CodeDeploy, Git / Github
- Experience with Linux (especially Ubuntu/ Debian)
- Ability to work well with geographically distributed teams as well as highly collaborative environments
- Ability to execute on projects with fast deadlines. Comfortable with ambiguity, and flexible in pitching in.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Some proficiency in Spanish is a strong plus
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we're not just another publisher. We're the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We're passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.