Architect at Teranet (Toronto, ON, Canada)
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:17
Who We Are
Teranet is Canada’s leader in the delivery and transformation of statutory registry services with extensive expertise in land and commercial registries. We also market insightful property and data solutions, as well as practice management automation to thousands of customers in the real estate, financial services, government, utilities, and legal markets. Founded in 1991, Teranet operates the Electronic Registration System for the Province of Ontario, Teranet Manitoba—service provider to the Manitoba government, and Collateral Management Solutions—the market leader in Canadian lien registration and search, asset recovery services, and insolvency management. Most recently, Teranet expanded its global footprint by acquiring Foster Moore. This acquisition expands its registry solutions to include Catalyst™; a commercial off-the-shelf registry software that delivers operational cost reductions, enhanced security and process improvements.
Connect. Grow. Thrive Together.
To learn more about who we are visit our website: www.teranet.ca
About the Role
As a key member of Teranet’s DevOps team, the Platform Architect is responsible for delivering a high degree of reliable, scalable, and secure best practices for Teranet’s Kubernetes and other container platforms. The Platform Architect will be a part of the Platform team and work closely with product teams and developers. This role will be to provide best practices solution architecture, platform integration, design and develop solutions for multiple implementations, and assist in defining scope, sizing of work and proof of concept developments.
The Platform Architect will drive the successful delivery of highly visible, complex work in support of enterprise-wide strategic initiatives. The Platform Architect will be responsible for various aspects of designing, deploying, integrating, optimizing, automating, and adapting Kubernetes centric container platform environments. In addition to technical skills, the Platform Architect will be a crucial member and mentor for teams through their Cloud and DevOps journey.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Architect and design Platform and Automation Strategies
- Design and review the Platform
- Build platform and platform changes; work with engineers to ensure implementation.
- Deploy platform and platform changes
- Consult on architecture, design, and production for developer teams.
- Define, architect, and develop processes for automation and ensure Tech Leads and SREs are familiar with, and maintain automation concepts and processes.
- Facilitate and lead the onboarding of applications
- Set up and maintain CI/CD pipelines
- Provide 12 factors implementation support
- Optimize the underlying infrastructure platform for speed and resiliency by designing and reviewing.
- Through architecture and design, improve platform performance, configure platform and monitor the platform architecture.
- Support application teams by monitoring apps, performance tuning and providing deployment support.
Manage Incidents & Problems
- Act as an escalation point for SREs and Tech Leads and lead major incident resolution.
- Resolve incidents in accordance with SLOs
- Review SREs post-mortems of incidents to identify root-causes leveraging all available data sources with a focus on what happened, how the problem was discovered, and how to remediate it.
- Lead problem resolution management and act as a SME for team members
- Establish reference architecture along with tools, technologies, processes and standards.
- Maintain catalogue of platform tools, technologies, processes and standards
- Review & re-evaluate platform architecture and the technology stack at least on an annual basis
- Platform Technology and tools POCs
- Lead and manage the capacity planning for platform
- Adhere to and ensure security and compliance requirements for platform are maintained.
- Review and re-evaluate automation architecture and the technology stack at least on an annual basis
- Provide assistance in the financial planning process; provide input for budget and forecast.
- S degree in Computer Science or related technical field (i.e. EE, Physics or Mathematics), or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ year’s professional application development experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, JSP, .NET, SOAP or REST, and mastery of one or more scripting languages for automating systems management (i.e. Bash, Python, Ansible).
- Strong understanding of Kubernetes orchestration platform and its various plugins both as a programmer, and from an operations perspective.
- Experience deploying Kubernetes (beyond the managed service offerings from Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure)
- Understanding and experience of Kubernetes microservices architecture, internal components and Go programming language.
- Kubernetes Administrator Certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Docker and containerization concepts with multi-stage builds, registries, and best image practices.
- Hands-on experience with Container Management Platform such as OpenShift 4.X, Pivotal (PCF) and Google GKE/Anthons – RBAC, AD/LDAP Integration, Secret Management, Image scanning, Certificates, SSL/TSL, persistent storage solutions, SELinux.
- Understanding of Kubernetes pod monitoring and metrics best practices.
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes DNs and how it interacts with external DNS servers
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of both general and Kubernetes networking concepts (i.e. firewall, routing, network topologies and hardware, SDN) and their role with regards to Kubernetes infrastructure and application delivery.
- Deep understanding of Kubernetes network architecture (i.e. how traffic moves within Pods, between clusters, load balancers, and the Internet). Proficiency in Linux/Unix.
- Experience with development/automation tools such as Anisble, Python, Git and Terraform.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk, ELK, Grafana, and Prometheus.
- Experience of CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, Git, Gerrit and Concourse.
- Experience with supporting applications running on Kubernetes.
- Experience working on an Agile Scrum team required.
- Understanding of protocols/technologies like Microservices, SOA, HTTP, SSL/TLS, LDAP, JDBC.
- Experience with implementing applications and services using the cloud native application architectures.
Other Competencies, Skills & Experience
- Strong customer-service and relationship-building skills; must liaise with a range of stakeholders from across the business.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Collaboration is at the heart of the Platform Architect role and that requires flexibility, teamwork and solid interpersonal skills.
- Self starter, must be able to work without close supervision
- Ability to solve complex problems within short timeframes; must be analytical in nature and a critical thinker.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; be an agent of change, energetic, motivated and customer focused.
- Understanding of high availability, scalability, resiliency, app performance, and security in the cloud.
We may be a global innovator in electronic services and solutions who operate one of the most advanced and secure registration systems in the world, but we’re so much more than that!
Our Extraordinary People.
For starters, believe us when we say our people are extraordinary. Together, we are passionate, driven, resourceful and authentic. We continue to thrive because of our people and their powerful ideas, strong team spirit, ‘can do’ attitude, and unwavering dedication to our business and our clients. We empower and support one another through meaningful and challenging work. We collaborate, engage, motivate and inspire brilliant results and never forget to celebrate our wins along the way!
Our people are smart, ambitious and have big career goals. We not only encourage a culture of openly talking about our career aspirations, but one where we truly invest in the continuous learning, development and growth of our people. We’re a talent driven organization and our array of learning and development programs prove that!
Our Work Environment.
Let’s face it. We spend a lot of our time working, so atmosphere is everything! We believe in cultivating a work environment that makes our people feel comfortable, engaged, appreciated and happy. We have a ton of great programs in place that are all dedicated to making our work environment as welcoming and engaging as it is! Whether it be our Global Social Committee, Employee Recognition Programs, Annual Engagement Program, you name it, we’ve got it.
Company Culture & Core Values.
Our company culture and core values are the core of our identity. They define who we are, how we engage with each other and our clients, and how we conduct business every day. They serve as our guiding principles and are embedded in everything we do. We know you can’t buy it, you certainly can’t fake it, you have to live and breathe it and we do just that!
What We Offer
- Market-competitive pay structures
- Paid Vacation & Sick Leaves
- Maternity, Parental and/or Adoption Leave Top-Up Program
- 100% Employer-Paid Health Benefit Plan
- Retirement Savings Plans with Employer Matching Scheme
- Ongoing Financial Wellness Seminars
- Corporate Discounted Programs + Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for our employees and their families!
At Teranet, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Come As You Are. We Like You that Way!