Software Developer at FINBOURNE Technology (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:17
Taking the time to write robust, well researched and performant, highly tested code is the key to engineering in our team, and FINBOURNE in general. The systems we write are amongst the most used and critical to a global financial platform: ensuring our customers can trust that their data is safe while also easily accessible to the right people.
Development work in the team is varied, working on building new features, augmenting our infrastructure and automated testing, and working with the whole company to understand their areas of the business.”
Like everyone at FINBOURNE, developers will work with other teams to broaden their experience of the platform and the industry. Learning and teaching is key to help bring our culture of engineering excellence to our products and customers.
LUSID is an always up, global investment platform, so building high quality engineering and developing high quality engineers is critical to the company.
Job Title: Software Developer
Salary: £60,000 - £75,000 (depending on experience)
- Contribute to the development of new features and improvement of existing features
- Review code from other members of the team
- Develop an understanding of all areas of identity and access management, and help other teams and customers with their challenges in this space.
- Research new ideas and prototype new tools and technologies
- Help further develop our automated testing systems to keep the quality of our work as high as possible
Planning and Delivery
- Work with others in the company to help define how new features can be delivered
- Identify bugs and gaps in our applications and processes, and work with the team to get them fixed
- Contribute to and enhance our engineering practices
- Develop ways to better improve our system awareness and monitoring to identify issues and trends early.
- Share knowledge, experience and new ideas with the wider team
- Provide technical mentoring for team members
What skills, experience and qualifications we require:
You’ll have a passion for technology and have solid software development skills gained from experience working with back end systems.
You should be well organised, and have excellent communication skills, with the ability to discuss complex topics with both technical and non-technical audiences. It is essential that you’re willing to take the time understand a problem before making any changes. You should be able to describe the trade-offs made in any design choice and learn to improve your design choices with feedback from the wider team.
Knowledge of Financial Services (or Asset Management specifically) would be beneficial, though not essential.
Knowledge in the following areas is essential:
- C# and .NET Core (or equivalent language, e.g.: C/C++, Java)
- Git source control
We use the following technologies, so experience in any of these areas is also desirable:
- Postgres (or other relational database)
- Automated testing and continuous integration/delivery
- Functional programming
- Writing high performance software
- Distributed computing / scalable systems
- Kubernetes + Docker
- Rabbit MQ
In future, we are considering using the following, so knowledge in any of these areas would be beneficial:
- Actor models, such as MS Orleans or Akka
- Queue-oriented architectures
- LSM stores (such as RocksDB)
FINBOURNE Technology was founded in 2016 with the mission to reduce the cost of investing and increase transparency for everyone. We’re doing this by changing the way the world manages investment data with LUSID, our open cloud-based investment data platform and marketplace. LUSID is for everyone in the asset management industry from start-up fund managers to global investment institutions.
With strong funding behind us and an expanding customer base, we have ambitious growth plans to become the de -facto industry standard for hosting the world’s investment data. To help us build our open system where individuals and institutions own their own data, we’re looking for talented and creative problem solvers to join our team. We think it’s a pretty exciting place to be right now and we’re always looking for passionate, innovative people to join us on our journey.
Life at FINBOURNE:
Working at FINBOURNE is fast paced and exciting. The most important qualities we look for are a hunger to learn, passion for quality and a willingness to take the time to collaborate, teach and learn from colleagues.
- During your first three months with us, we encourage you and your manager to agree a 90 day plan to document your training and induction. This will give you clear objectives and ensures you’re provided with support in the areas that you require it the most.
- You’ll also have regular meetings with your manager and should expect to receive regular feedback from them.
- We run daily team stand ups so you’ll quickly get up to speed on what your colleagues are working on and be able to share your accomplishments and challenges with your team.
- We host monthly company-wide meetings where you’ll receive regular business updates and insight into our strategy.
- We host knowledge sharing sessions where employees share best practice and new ways of working. These range from fortnightly Q&A sessions about the finance industry to our weekly code craft club.
- Performance related pay: Financial rewards which can include a direct route to a financial stake in the company via our discretionary Stock Options Scheme
- Pension: We offer a choice of pension schemes with employer contributions
- Maternity, paternity and adoption leave: Paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave, which includes 13 weeks full pay for maternity and adoption leave and 6 weeks full pay for paternity leave
- Holiday: 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme: Buy a bike and cycling accessories out of your pre-tax salary and spread the cost over 12 months
- Flexible and remote working: We have a mature attitude towards flexible and remote working. Whether you’re a night owl, morning person, parent, carer or simply need flexibility to work a different pattern to the norm, we’re committed to helping you be productive and work in a way that is best for you
- Learning and training: We run regular internal training sessions on a wide variety of topics. These range from fortnightly Q&A sessions on the finance industry to our weekly code craft club. We also encourage employees to tailor their own development by making use of online learning tools and courses to supplement on the job training.
- Regular company-wide socials: Before lockdown last year, team and company-wide socials happened regularly. These ranged from bowling trips, visits to the science museum, company-wide breakfasts and ski holidays. We hope to resume all of that shortly! Since lockdown we have continue to run social events including online gaming tournaments, quizzes and weekly one to one virtual catch-ups to keep everyone connected!
FINBOURNE Technology is a Skilled Worker sponsor and we can support candidates requiring work permission if appropriate.
For more information about us please visit our website.