Software Engineer (Starlink) at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA)
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:24
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. Starlink is now delivering initial beta service and accepting pre-orders both domestically and internationally, and will continue expansion to near global coverage of the populated world in 2021.
The Starlink software team in Los Angeles is hyper-focused on the hardware we ship directly to consumers, most notably the highly technical satellite dish. Engineers on this team own the complete lifecycle of their code including initial development, testing, and production – ultimately ensuring performance and reliability of the software systems that allow the consumer hardware to communicate with the constellation. Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be critical to the reliability of our service and the success of our business, and will have a direct impact on tens of millions of potential users currently without reliable access to the internet.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems for our low latency, high capacity satellite-based global software defined network
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Collaborate with other engineers to plan and organize the development of our products
- Write high quality Linux based software for common processors and microcontrollers (e.g. ARM)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline or 2+ years of professional experience in software development in lieu of a degree
- Development experience in C, C++, Python, or related languages
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals
- Solid fundamental knowledge of networks, electronics, math, and physics
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000