Senior Firmware Engineer at Johnson Controls (Belfast, UK)
Location: Belfast, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:58
At Johnson Controls, we’re shaping the future to create a world that’s safe, comfortable, and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions making the people, facilities, and assets safe with our industry-leading security solutions. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works, and plays. This is an exciting opportunity to develop the next generation of AI-driven security solutions. Your role will have a large impact, as the technology you develop will be used to protect people, facilities, and assets, at scale – around the world. Which is pretty world-changing!
You will be working with a talented team of architects, scientists, product managers, UI/UXD specialists, Software, Hardware, and QA engineers. Our teams are spread across several locations including Boston MA, Indianapolis IN, Belfast UK, Tel-Aviv Israel, Bangalore & Delhi India, Montreal Canada, Boca Raton FL, and Los Angeles CA. (we have some flexibility on location)
You will be using the latest cutting-edge technologies to power next-generation Access Control and Video solutions. Our market-leading brands include Tyco AI, American Dynamics, Cloudvue, Illustra, Exacq, Software House, Kantech, Innometriks, and CEM.
We are investing heavily for growth so looking for change agents with big bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mindset, and a highly collaborative working style. This might just be THE impactful role you have been looking for!
What you will do
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team with firmware, hardware & quality assurance engineers in JCI, and with 3rd party companies, to develop, enhance and test a wide range of Illustra IP cameras. Reporting to the Illustra Firmware manager, the candidate will support the team in hitting time to market and quality milestones; allowing the Illustra team to successfully meet revenue targets.
The Illustra brand has been growing year on year, consistently meeting aggressive targets from the business by expanding the portfolio into new and innovative technologies that solve real world problems for customers.
How you will do it
- Design, develop, test and maintain software.
- Develop technical documentation in-line with industry best practices.
- Interface with other functions with the business to ensure the timely delivery of high quality products.
- Adhere to development processes including design reviews, code reviews and coding guidelines.
- Act as an enthusiastic and motivated member of the product development team.
- Maintain knowledge of new technologies in the field of security systems.
What we look for
- 5+ years of experience in software development in C/C++ in an Embedded Linux system.
- Applicants must be have Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electronics and Software, or similar degree with software component.
- Experience should include some of the following: UDP/IP, TCP/IP, Linux Kernel knowledge, Multi-process and Multi-threading, Asynchronous programming, Relational Databases, Open Source Software Integration and Software Security Mechanisms.
- Experience of developing within an Agile framework.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- Methodical and accurate.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Evidence of mentoring/coaching software team members.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience with multiple processor families (e.g. x86, ARM, MSP430).
- Experience with hardware debugging tools (e.g. JTAG debuggers).
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Node.js, JS, Python, Bash, Perl).
- Experience with automated build systems (e.g. Jenkins).
- Experience with using network analysis tools (e.g. Wireshark).
- Experience of video streaming technologies