Associate IoT Systems Engineer at Canonical () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:01:59
Help customers build next-generation secure, connected devices
Security and software agility are the key challenges of high-end IoT. Every device is mission critical - for a factory, or an airplane, or a car, or a production process - and every device is software-defined, which means it needs constant updates and improvements. Ubuntu is an ideal platform for high-end IoT, and the most widely used Linux for connected devices, because it enables software development with best-in-class open source tools from cloud to edge. With Ubuntu Core, we enable those Ubuntu developers to deliver their applications with incredibly high reliability and precision to devices in any corner of the campus or the globe.
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the worlds best free software platform. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu. We are now expanding into the field of IoT with a focus on open source, security, reliability and device management.
This is a fast-paced, problem-solving role thats challenging yet very exciting. The successful candidate must be resourceful, quick-thinking, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across IoT technologies.
As part of the IoT Field Engineering team, at Canonical you will:
- Help customers to architect and deploy highly secure IoT products with snaps and Ubuntu Core
- Partner with the sales team on pre-sales and post-sales activities, providing insights and consulting
- Participate as technical lead on complex customer architecture engagements from cloud to edge
- Help customers integrate their apps, build device OS images, optimize applications for Ubuntu
- Deliver training, develop proof of concepts, demonstrate and present advanced OS and app technology
Joining Canonical, you will partner with bright minds from all over the world, work with an exciting set of new technologies in a fast growing company with a truly unique and ambitious vision to build a better IoT with free software. The diversity of customer projects makes for an always renewed experience, with exciting IoT platforms and technologies, from innovative startups to major players in a broad range of verticals: on the factory floor or in drones, with robots or in retail spaces.
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor (or higher) degree in Computer Science or related engineering field experience
- A solid understanding of Linux and the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Comfortable with modern programming languages like Golang, Python, NodeJS, or Rust
- Experience with Docker/OCI containers/K8s
- Experience with some Linux packaging (Debian, RPM, Yocto)
- Basic understanding of Security technologies (certificates, PKI, HSMs, Secure Boot, ...) and best practices
- At ease with Git/Github source control management
- Good understanding of networking - TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTP/REST
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Ability to travel globally for periods of up to two weeks; overall 30% travel time
Nice to have
- Experience with industrial IoT protocols (LWM2M, MQTT, Modbus, OPC-UA, ) and wireless (LTE, BLE, Zigbee/802.11af, ...)
- Knowledge and experience with messaging architectures (DBus, SOAP, gRPC)
- Prior IoT / Embedded experience - from board and SoC usage, bootloaders and firmware to operating systems through applications and cloud services.
- An understanding of open source communities and licenses
What Canonical offers:
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the worlds computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.