Full-Stack Software Developer Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) at Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH (Jülich, Deutschland)
Location: Jülich, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-29 05:00:34
Research data is the foundation of scientific discovery and an essential component of societal progress. Establishing the provenance of data and ensuring its re-usability and long-term availability increases the value, transparency, and visibility of research.That is the mission of the Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration (HMC): the goal of this association-wide platform is to develop and establish novel concepts, services, and workflows that allow to enrich complex and heterogeneous research data with metadata. This will make our research data FAIR and thus secure its value in the long term, e.g. for re-use in areas of Big Data analytics and data mining using artificial intelligence.
The Institute for Advanced Simulations – Materials Data Science and Informatics (IAS-9) – will be the HMC Host-Lab at the Jülich Research Center. The activities in our multidisciplinary group span from the investigation of material properties by means of numerical simulations and theoretical approaches to data science, including machine learning approaches and artificial intelligence, to the development of methodology and software that improve the handling of metadata. The IAS-9 will host a team of HMC software developers who will operate at the interface of scientific data analysis and research data management. In close collaboration with the HMC Hub Information, we will support scientists in the Helmholtz Association by developing strategies and tools such as web-services and databases that aim at improving the collection of controlled and structured metadata in everyday scientific workflows.
Support our team as
Full-Stack Software Developer – Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)
Support us at the IAS-9 and HMC in our software development activities. You will work in our multidisciplinary team of young and enthusiastic programmers and scientists on the following tasks:
- Contribute to the IAS-9 activities for the (co-)development of an electronic lab notebook (ELN)
- Identification and Evaluation of initiatives as well as connection with established initiatives within the Helmholtz Association, communication and collaboration with other development teams (e.g., KIT, Hereon, HZB) in order to develop suitable exchange formats between ELNs
- Requirement engineering in exchange with scientists and incorporation of domain-specific metadata schemata, documentation, and dissimination
- Planning and implementation of possibilities for the documentation of workflows (i.e. for theoretical and simulation approaches)
- Extending existing projects and contributing to existing open-source communities – we try to reuse and adapt developments that are out there whenever possible and useful
We are looking for a motivated colleague who is interested in supporting science by finding pragmatic solutions and bring metadata recording, curation and handling forward within the Helmholtz Association. For this you have:
- An University degree (Master, Diploma) or similar in information / data / computer science, PhD degree in a relevant scientific domain is beneficial, not required however
- Interest in full-stack development of modern and user-friendly web services as well single-page application for the science community
- Knowledge of relevant web technologies: for example, familiarity with the NodeJS ecosystem and frontend frameworks such as React or Vue.js and backend frameworks such as Fask, Rails or Spring Boot
- You are comfortable with at least one general-purpose programming language, e.g. Python, Java, Scala, Rust, Clojure, Haskell, OCaml
- Good communication and writing skills in English
- Willingness to travel (e.g. business trips to meetings or conferences)
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A secure employment in a dynamic environment
- An international and multidisciplinary team with the open-minded atmosphere of an “academic start-up” where developments are driven collaboratively and in a team-oriented fashion. Our goal is to make a difference together!
- Interactions in the HMC platform that spans over all scientific disciplines within the Helmholtz Association, one of the major scientific organizations in Germany
- The possibility to find pragmatic solutions to some long standing as well as recently risen problems as well as the possibility to develop them into sustainable solutions for the long term
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life, such as the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of three years, with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits are in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD) – depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks, salary grade EG 13 TVöD-Bund.
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application until 25.07.2021 via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.