Senior Frontend & Node.js Engineer at UK Home Office (Sheffield, UK)
Location: Sheffield, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-06 05:00:38
Frontend development is a growing role within government, and it’s a vital one, as the work is focused on the parts of government that citizens interact with most often. The services we work on in the public sector are essential. Users have no alternative but to use services such as ‘Apply Online for a Passport’
Our services are essential for people so they can get on with their lives. Some of these systems are used by millions of people, which presents many interesting challenges! Because it’s what users interact with, the frontend has to be accessible, well-designed, intuitive for the user, and it has to perform well!
What will you be doing as a Senior Developer at Home Office?
You could be working with design teams and contributing to design systems like Home Office, Gov.uk and other common component sets. You’ll also have the opportunity to lead and drive teamwork for design and delivery of frontend features to meet user needs.
Your key areas of impact
- develop user interfaces and contribute to web application creation efforts for our Operating System using modern web technologies
- use agreed standards and specifications to design, create, test and document new software or make changes to existing software
- translate user stories and propose design approaches or services to meet user needs
- create accessible user interfaces, testing components and pages against accessibility standards.
- solve problems to improve performance using different sources of data to monitor and identify performance issues
- integrate and test user interfaces, systems and programme components
- work alongside backend developers to assist with API integration coding and troubleshooting as well as maintenance and enhancements being open minded and interested in exploring new approaches and technology
Who you are
You'll be a developer who is confident developing applications, passionate about making a difference and want to be involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution, and shipping whilst having experience with:
- NodeJS as a server for web applications
- package managers npm, yarn and webpack
- unit testing and TDD, and automated frontend (unit/component) testing
- leading and mentoring others in frontend architecture, technology choices, code quality, security, CI/CD pipelines