Research Group Leader for Data Science and Machine Learning in Microscopy at Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH (Jülich, Deutschland)
Location: Jülich, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-09 05:00:50
The development of complex materials with tailored properties as well as the understanding of the underlying mechanisms require an integrative combination of data analytics and material characterization with theory, simulation, and research data management. In particular, for computer-aided analysis of (image) data from electron microscopy, artificial intelligence methods such as Deep Learning (DL) offer excellent potential. The multidisciplinary Institute for Advanced Simulations – Materials Data Science and Informatics (IAS-9) – combines disciplines ranging from data analysis and materials simulation to research data management and software development under one roof.Together with the Ernst Ruska Center for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons (ER-C), IAS-9 is establishing a ) “Simulation and Data Science Lab for Electron Microscopy,)” where one focus is on data mining, image analysis, and AI-based data science for electron microscopy. Here, the work at Forschungszentrum Jülich benefits from a unique infrastructure with a wide range of disciplines and from an interdisciplinary, data-intensive research environment. In particular, a close connection to the “Helmholtz Imaging Platform” (HIP), the “Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration Platform” (HMC) and the “Helmholtz Artificial Intelligence Cooperation Unit” (HAICU) as well as the close interaction with the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) offer unique opportunities for new synergies between characterization, data analytics, and simulation.
We are looking to recruit a
Research Group Leader for Data Science and Machine Learning in Microscopy
You will strengthen the data science and machine learning (ML) activities of the IAS-9 and ER-C with exciting new topics. You will work in a multidisciplinary team of young and enthusiastic data scientists, programmers, and scientists on:
- Development and application of generic methods, algorithms, and software tools, e.g. for multimodal or multi- / high-dimensional data analysis, time series analysis and prediction, inverse modelling, and coupling of simulation or DL models and experiment
- You will also work on the development and application of image- and microscopy-related methods and tools, such as reconstruction, denoising, inpainting or segmentation of 2D / 3D / 4D image data as well as high throughput data mining and adaptive sampling for microscopy
- Involvement in the establishment and coordination of a research group within the thematic spectrum of a “Data Science Lab for Electron Microscopy”
- Identification and further development of exciting future research questions and scientific topics in the context of artificial intelligence methods
- Participation in cross-center, Helmholtz-wide activities in the field of data-driven research
- Supervision of student research projects and theses
We are looking for a highly motivated colleague who is excited about new scientific endeavors with interdisciplinary approaches. For this you have:
- A completed university degree (Master) and a doctorate in data science, computer science, mathematics, materials science, physics, or a related subject
- Research experience in the area of data analysis, data mining, and ML / DL demonstrated through, e.g., the dissertation, publications in peer-reviewed journals or open source projects
- Very good practical experience in data analysis and ML / DL
- Very good practical programming expertise (e.g., Python, Java, Julia, R, C / C++) and related libraries as well as solid experience in HPC / GPU environments and open source software development
- Leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a committed and independent manner with flexibility and open-mindedness for new challenges
We work on highly socially relevant topical issues and offer you the opportunity to actively shape change! We support you in your work with:
- The opportunity to conduct exciting research in an international and multidisciplinary environment with outstanding infrastructure
- The perspective to take over the responsibility for a larger research division
- A creative work environment at a leading research facility, located on an attractive research campus at the TZA Aachen and the Forschungszentrum Jülich
- The opportunity to strengthen your reputation in a dynamic and highly active research field
- Extensive training opportunities for personal and professional development
- The opportunity to attend national and international conferences
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life, such as the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
The position is initially fixed for a term of two years, with the possibility of a permanent employment contract. Salary and social benefits are in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
Your application documents should include a scientific CV, a cover letter, and a personal statement as well as the names of two referees.
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application until 08.08.2021 via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.