PHP/Magento 2 Backend Developer at Oh Polly (Glasgow, UK)
Location: Glasgow, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-20 05:00:04
PHP/Magento 2 Backend DeveloperJob descriptionPHP/Magento 2 Backend Developer based in Oh Polly main office in Glasgow City Centre / Remote.
- The role is currently fully remote.
- The role when business returns to normal will be remote-first focused. Approximately three days from home and two days or less from the Glasgow City Centre office.
- Fully remote full-time role is open for exceptional candidates (GMT +3 / -3).
- Normal working hours are 9am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday.
- Flexibility is available (i.e. 8am - 4.30pm, or 10am - 6.30pm).
- Write, test, and deploy code using established standards and procedures.
- Participate in development team sprint events.
- Understand and adhere to specifications.
- Troubleshoot and maintain existing software according to company standards and procedures.
- Mentor and support other developers.
- Review deliverables and provide performance feedback, recommend process and technical improvements.
- Design and deliver informal training to business users and other developers.
- Convert requirements into technical and functional solutions.
- Analyse application logs and metrics for potential issues under pressure and resolve.
- Junior: £25-32k.
- Mid-weight: £32k-43k.
- Senior: £43k-£60k.
What's on Offer?
- Relocation package for exceptional candidates.
- Excellent opportunities for career progression.
- Pluralsight subscription (https://www.pluralsight.com/).
- Budget allocation for tech conferences.
- Perkbox (https://www.perkbox.com/uk) with access to exclusive employee benefits, freebies and discounts – half price cinema tickets, holiday discounts and a lot more perks.
- Onsite Yoga, Mindfulness and Meditation sessions.
- Corporate gym membership.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- An extra day off for your birthday!
- Excellent opportunities for career progression.
- 50% discount on all Oh Polly products.
- Company Pension.
- Office Nespresso machine (for all the coffee lovers).
- Your choice of Macbook Pro (MacOS) or DELL XPS (Linux) laptop. 2 or 3 x rotating monitors setup.
- Department Wired Magazine subscription and other goodies.
- Flexible start time up to 10AM (finish time 6.30PM).
- Bright spacious offices.
- Company social events (Bowling, Go Karting etc) + occasional Pizza Friday's on the house.
- Screening – phone call.
- Interview (technical) – in person / video call.
- Practical / coding task.
- Interview (HR/Management) – in person / video call.
- PHP experience is essential for this role.
- Experience in developing Magento 2.
- Experience in Object-Oriented PHP development.
- Experience developing custom Magento extensions and extending existing extensions.
- Experience with Zend MVC Framework.
- Demonstrable DevOps experience, dealing with Linux and virtualized environments.
- Version control (git).
- Good knowledge of dependency management with Composer for PHP.
- Adhere to coding standards.
- Experienced in integrating Magento 2 to 3rd party applications/legacy systems (fulfilment, PIM, payment etc).
- Experience with LEMP (Linux, Nginx, MySQL, PHP) stack.
- Strong relational database skills (MySQL).
Although this is a back end focused role at times you may have to be involved in front end development:
- Magento e-commerce templates and layouts.
- Semantically marked-up HTML.
- CSS, including experience with pre-processors (e.g. SASS, LESS).
- Build systems for front-end web development (e.g. Gulp, Grunt).
- Photoshop, Illustrator for web production (e.g. cropping, masks, selection, layer comps, creating SVGs).
- Experience in developing responsive and mobile sites.
- Eye for detail and alignment as well as a solid understanding of UX/UI design.
- Amazon Web Services experience.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and containerisation (e.g. Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes).
- Troubleshooting with APM tools (e.g. New Relic).
- System log analysis.
- Message queuing (e.g. RabbitMQ, AWS SQS).
- Pair programming.
- JIRA / Confluence.
- Agile (Scrum / Kanban).
- Developing CI / CD workflows (e.g. Jenkins, Github actions, Bitbucket pipelines).
- Unit testing and Functional testing tools (e.g. PHPUnit, CodeceptionJS, Codeception, Browserstack, MFTF).
- Competent in web services integrations (REST, SOAP, GraphQL).
- Magento certification(s).
- Other industry certification(s).
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to help others in the development team.
- Willing to communicate with non-developers (i.e. company stakeholders and external partners) in a positive, responsive manner.
- Commercially minded. You understand the balance between commercial targets and technical targets. e.g. You understand the need for continuous improvement in functionality and features rather than a complete focus on bug fixing and technical improvements. You are also acutely aware of the importance of a major bug that needs to be fixed immediately over a new feature if you deem the bug is commercially impacting business performance.
Interested? You can apply for this job via the application form.Agency calls are not appreciated.