Staff Software Engineer, Notebooks, Education at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (Redwood City, CA)
Location: Redwood City, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-20 05:00:28
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there.
The Notebooks team builds and maintains the in-house document editor of the Summit Learning Platform. Students complete their assignments in Notebooks, and teachers use the built-in tools to give feedback, exchange resources, and work collaboratively with students to improve their learning.
- Work full-stack and collaborate closely with a cross-functional team to develop, iterate on, and evolve the Notebooks product to improve teacher instruction and student learning.
- Design and implement the systems to support a complex product with thousands of users.
- Support platform quality initiatives to improve the performance, reliability, observability, and accessibility of our systems and product.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to junior engineers.
- Strong experience as a web developer shipping complex products end-to-end with minimal guidance (6+ years).
- Experience in server-side web frameworks (Rails a plus).
- Ability and desire to guide and work with others to achieve engineering excellence.
- Eagerness to learn and grow as a software engineer.