Senior Software Engineer, Curriculum Adoption, Education at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (Redwood City, CA)
Location: Redwood City, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-20 05:00:33
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
Our education engineering teams are responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
- School leaders, district leaders, and other staff support implementation and teachers’ professional development
The Differentiation team is looking for a senior full-stack software engineer to build scalable, adaptable server and client side code to help teachers facilitate learning and students build skills and knowledge through curriculum.
- Build impactful products to help teachers understand and take action on student needs. Your focus will be on enabling teachers to internalize and utilize Curriculum for high quality instruction.
- Work with a cross-functional team to develop, iterate on, and maintain core features for teachers and students.
- Design and implement systems to support a complex product with hundreds of thousands of users.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to junior engineers
- 5+ years of relevant coding experience with full-stack web development
- Proficiency with Ruby or another object-oriented language and a willingness to learn Ruby
- Experience building services and applications at scale
- Experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship high-quality products
- Experience with React and Rails a plus