Senior Fullstack Engineer, Single Cell, Science at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (Redwood City, CA)
Location: Redwood City, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-20 05:00:34
The Single Cell Engineering Team is building interactive visual interfaces that put data directly into the hands of scientists. A pilot of our platform was rapidly deployed to host data from healthy and COVID-19 infected tissues, which enabled researchers to evaluate the infectability of different types of cells, which is determined by their co-expression of two key genes: ACE2 and TMPRSS2. This pilot demonstrates how visual tools can help unlock single cell data, enabling scientists to understand how genetic variants impact disease risk, define drug toxicities, and discover better therapies.
CZI's Single Cell Biology Program aims to facilitate the generation of comprehensive reference maps of all human cells, such as the Human Cell Atlas, as a basis for understanding fundamental human biological processes and diagnosing, monitoring, and treating disease. These reference maps are derived from terabytes of cell biology images and biological sequence information. However, cell biologists and physicians, the scientists who have the knowledge to interpret the data, often lack the computational skills needed to access the data.
- Design and build web applications to facilitate the reuse of terabytes of single cell transcriptomics data with an eye towards scalable, maintainable, testable code.
- Lead and facilitate discussions of design and implementation of software towards decisions, influencing a multidisciplinary group of stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers as part of a scrum team to deliver incremental value for scientists working at the cutting edge of an emerging field.
- Have opportunities to learn about single cell technologies, though no prior experience is required!
- 5+ years of relevant software experience with full-stack web development.
- Strong fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and object oriented programming principles.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Experience building RESTful APIs.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary environment (engineering, product, UX).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.