Mid-Senior Level Software Engineer at Amber Electric at Common Code (Melbourne, Australia)
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-23 05:00:33
- Located at - 31 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Open to Part-time at 4 days/week, or full-time
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It is a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy. We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs including Square Peg Capital, Giant Leap (Impact Investment Group) and Black Sheep Capital. We are now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You would be a part of a rapidly growing team of 40 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
As a Software Engineer, you will be working as part of a small but fast-growing Product & Technology team, reporting directly to the CTO.
The Amber Electric product team develops and supports:
- Mobile & Web apps for customers to monitor and manage their energy usage.
- A pricing and billing engine for real time energy pricing
- Home automation integrations to control electricity usage in response to pricing and renewable availability
- The marketing site and associated tools to drive customer growth
The tech stack is React Native mobile app, some React web frontends, and a Serverless Lambda backend on AWS. We are using Typescript top to bottom, and Apollo GraphQL sits in the middle.
You can learn more about our tech stack at https://stackshare.io/companies/amber-electric.
While we are looking for talented and driven individuals our desire is to build a champion team, not a team of champions. We are full-stack-ish; while it is impossible for everyone to excel across every layer of the stack, we value people who can chip in wherever they are needed. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace from the ground up. We want engineers who are as comfortable communicating with people as they are with their code.
Qualifications & Skills
- At Amber, we want to hire self-starters who are eager to learn and are comfortable working in a changing environment. Some of the key traits we are looking for in this role:
- You have a positive mindset: equal parts curious, collaborative, and can-do.
- Between two and five years of commercial development experience in either Web or Mobile environments.
- At least one of:
- Experience in teams with modern software delivery practices: continuous delivery, developers supporting production operations, pragmatic agile/lean processes, etc.
- Relevant domain expertise from working in a relevant industry sector such as energy of IoT automation
- Commercial experience with the specific technologies in our stack is a strong plus but not a hard requirement.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills built on a foundation of empathy for your fellow humans is essential.
What your day to day will look like
As a Software Engineer at Amber, you will:
- Write and maintain high quality program code across the stack in the areas of your speciality
- Flexibly contribute outside your speciality in other areas of the stack supporting your team when they need it
- Work collaboratively with your peers in product and across the wider company to ensure you are always shipping the right thing the right way at the right time
- Research, consult, analyse and evaluate our system requirements
- Test, debug, diagnose and correct errors in our tech stack according to our operational specifications
- Support the app across the whole lifecycle from idea through to production
This is a full-time role based in Melbourne. Due to Covid, the majority of us work from home, with one to two days a week catching up in a coworking space in the CBD. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain hybrid flexibility between the office and working from home.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of renewable energy in Australia
- Exciting coworking location in the CBD
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Weekly book club to support ongoing learning as a team
- Competitive salary and equity
Please include your resume and a cover letter and tell us one specific way you could use your technical skills to improve a household's energy use under the Amber model.
If you do not meet 100% of the requirements listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We believe that great people can always find a place. People do their best work when they can be themselves. We really encourage and welcome people from underrepresented backgrounds in tech to apply.
Our process will generally be as follows:
- A screening interview with our talent team
- A take-home technical challenge that should take no longer than four hours
- A follow up in person interview with two members of the engineering team
- A final chat with one of the founders and CTO
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
Direct applications from candidates only, no recruitment firms please.
“We are Common” by Common Code are assisting Amber with building their tech team.
Any CVs will be forwarded to the "We Are Common" team.