Kernel Team Lead at SUSE () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-23 05:01:00
SUSE Labs has a position open for a KERNEL TEAM LEAD
Your responsibility will be to lead a globally distributed team of kernel experts, coordinate efforts to advance the technology in the Linux kernel, and make it suitable for SUSE’s Linux-based products.
The Performance team is responsible for identifying sources of performance regressions, addressing regressions where they occur, adapting to new technology developments and improving performance over time. This covers many kernel subsystems including, but not limited to, storage, block, filesystems, networking, CPU scheduler, CPU frequency management and memory management as well as some libraries and low-level infrastructure.
You will work with project managers, architects, and the developers on your team to define features and performance targets for future products and take responsibility for implementing them and addressing performance problems. You will cooperate very closely with the team leaders of the other kernel teams and QA Performance. You will interview, hire, and arrange mentorship for new members of the team.
SUSE Labs is responsible for delivering a kernel for upcoming products, maintaining it after release, and providing support in concert with SUSE’s Level 3 support group.SUSE Labs has an upstream-first approach to feature development. SUSE Labs developers are part of the Linux kernel development community; you’ll participate in the community and ensure the team takes an active role. Community interaction is bidirectional: you’ll represent the SUSE’s business needs as a Linux distributor and also communicate community viewpoints and developments within SUSE.
- Degree in computer science, other technical disciplines, or comparable qualifications
- Highly skilled in C development
- Solid knowledge of Linux and experience with Linux kernel development in at least one major subsystem
- Good knowledge of kernel debugging and performance analysis
- Good communication skills
- Good knowledge of English, both written and spoken
- Customer-oriented, details, and reliable working style
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Previous leadership experience
- Established record of Linux kernel commits
- Knowledge of industry standardization processes