Software Engineer - Full Stack at LIFTE H2 INC (Boston, MA)
Location: Boston, MA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-29 05:01:19
Position is based in Boston, Massachusetts or Berlin, Germany
Apply your software engineering skills to make a difference on climate change.
Join LIFTE's rapidly growing and international team. We offer competitive pay, flexible working conditions, stock options, and other great benefits. We are looking for the best. Join us and make a difference where climate meets tech.
The Role: Software Engineer – Full Stack
LIFTE's digital platform has two components. The cloud platform built on AWS serverless architecture is responsible for integrating with all the supply chain partners to gather high-quality and reliable data streams from hydrogen equipment and services for real-time processing and validation. Each data point is evaluated with its as-designed, as-built, and as-maintained conditions in mind to calculate any deviations from the equipment's design simulations and identify new behaviors to feed new product developments.
Our clients, partners, and field engineers use LIFTE's web and mobile applications to streamline the hydrogen deployment experience, improve overall safety and efficiency, and elevate the hydrogen industry standards. We have deeply integrated our digital systems with the Codes & Standards team and the Project Deployment team to ensure our software covers the entire end-to-end hydrogen deployment experience.
We strive to achieve the full potential of hydrogen as a decarbonization technology through the power of digitalization in its early stage and aim to make future hydrogen deployments repeatable, faster, safer, and more efficient as the industry matures. By drawing more talent to the cleantech and energy domain, we seek to let more software engineers directly impact decarbonization technologies by tackling the challenges head-on.
The Software Engineer - Full-Stack will be part of the LIFTE Digital team, reporting to the Head of Digital under the CTO. You will have the opportunity in two to three years to grow into a senior frontend, backend, or full-stack engineer based on your interests and the team's growth.
As the full-stack software engineer, you will be responsible for the end users' experience across LIFTE's digital platform, including the AWS data platform and our software applications. You will work closely with the Software Architect and Senior Software Engineers to deliver features and user stories and continuously improve our codebases. For our frontend applications, you will work with the Technical Product Designer to ensure the most optimal version of the design is implemented in our products. For our backend applications, you will work with the Senior Software Engineers to deploy IaC scripts and make sure our system is running as designed. Our ideal full-stack software engineer will:
- Work with the Software Architect, Senior Software Engineers, and the Technical Product Designer to deliver the features and user stories with direct feedback from the clients and end users.
- Follow and improve our security and compliance plan across all of our digital products.
- Build and deploy mobile and web applications using AWS Amplify, AppSync, React and React Native with offline-first capabilities.
- Build, deploy, and maintain AWS services and architectures to support real-time IoT data streams, data services from our partners' APIs, and data analytics.
- Identify and implement improvements in the integration and code-sharing between front and backend products through unified design systems like Ant Design and frameworks like React Native.
- Create and evolve IaC scripts using AWS CloudFormation, SAM, or CDK to automate services such as Greengrass, IoT, Kinesis, S3, Athena, and Lambda.
- Update and maintain coding standards and practices through extensive documentation and automated code quality checked in CI/CD pipelines.
- Build and improve data analytics frameworks to analyze hydrogen equipment as-design, as-built, and as-maintained baselines.
- Maintain and improve robust testing frameworks and procedures. We expect you to communicate with and visit the end users whenever possible to ensure our products are working properly and capture new product improvements.
- Support experiments of new technologies and services to maintain LIFTE's technical advantage as the market leader while contributing to the open-source community wherever possible.
- Perform in-depth code and design reviews for all commits and product designs. We expect you to have a deep passion for well-built CI/CD pipelines.
- Collaborate with LIFTE IT Operations to continuously improve our internal operations and data integrations.
- Provide mentorship to team members and manage interns throughout the year.
- Domestic travel at 15% with occasional 15% international travel required.
- Position is based in Boston, Massachusetts or Berlin, Germany
- Flexible combination of virtual and in office working.
- US visa and green card sponsorship based on mutual agreement. You must currently reside in the US to be eligible for this position
- US visa and green card sponsorship based on mutual agreement
Extremely Competitive Benefits Program
- Incentive Stock Options
- Performance-based company profit sharing bonuses
- 401K plan with company match
- Industry leading healthcare coverage: medical, dental, and vision
- Generous time away, including 5 weeks paid vacation for all, regardless of seniority
- Sick Time
- Company-paid life and disability insurance
- 6 Holidays plus 2 floating holidays
- Performance-based company profit sharing bonuses
- Stock options possible
- Betriebliche Altersvorsorge
- Travel, health, and accident insurance
- Competitive and environmentally friendly mobility options paid for by employer
- Family friendly policies
What Experience & Education is Required?
- For US: Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis.
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science or equivalent engineering degree with a solid understanding of computer science required. Background in Mathematics and Physics greatly preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience building software systems as a software engineer and at least 1 year of experience creating mobile or web applications using React or React Native.
- Experience with design sprints and rapid prototyping required.
- MInimum 1 year of experience working with AWS serverless services in production. Experience with AWS Amplify, AppSync, DynamoDB, Kinesis is greatly preferred.
- Production experience deploying IoT solutions in industrial settings and familiarity with IoT concepts such as device shadow and edge processing. Prior experience with AWS Greengrass Core and IoT services is greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with industrial sensors, wearable devices, vehicle interfaces, and wireless communication protocols preferred.
- Expertise in software security and compliance. Prior experience with SOC2, ISO27001, and GDPR audits preferred.
- Prior experience in business or statistical analytics preferred.
- Proficiency in languages such as Python, Node.js, C++, Rust, Go, and Kotlin.
What Skills are Necessary for Success?
- Drive for efficiency
- Lifelong learner
- Good writing skills
- Bias for actions and focus on results
- Ability to self-direct
What Qualities are We Looking for?
- Passion: your passion is incorporated in what you do and drives your progress.
- Servant leadership: constant focus on how your work can serve the needs of others.
- A focus on excellence: your work is error-free and complete.
- Good judgment: your recommendations are sound.
- High integrity: do the right thing, especially when no one is looking.
- Community builder: we like each other and want you to be a contributing member of the LIFTE community in whichever way you are uniquely designed. Diversity of thought and approach is important to us.
About LIFTE H2 Inc.
The world needs a green electron and a green molecule for the deep decarbonization of society. Hydrogen is an enabler of increased renewable energy penetration and solves many challenges with logistics, electrical infrastructure build-out, and hard-to-decarbonize sectors such as heavy-duty mobility. Hydrogen for power generation, mobility, and storage is now an accepted reality in many use cases, but the capability to deliver credible infrastructure at scale remains nascent. LIFTE H2 Inc. is poised to accelerate the hydrogen economy through direct action, unparalleled capability, next-gen technology, and partnerships.
LIFTE is a 100% employee-owned company built from the leadership team of one of the world's foremost hydrogen infrastructure multinational corporations, with a vision to accelerate deep decarbonization of society through the use of zero-emission hydrogen. LIFTE is solving the challenge of building supply chains that connect renewably generated hydrogen with customers where and when their operations demand it. We do this safely, at scale, reliably, and profitably.
LIFTE currently focuses on rail, marine, mining, and on-road heavy-duty market sectors. Expansion into power generation, industry, and distribution is part of our growth plan. The founding team uses next-generation technologies in compression, digital, distribution, and dispensing systems in partnership with the world's leading hydrogen technology providers. LIFTE is a supply chain integrator, delivering project-level value to project financiers, public-private partnerships, and project developers worldwide.
LIFTE H2 cares as much about the path taken as the end result; the end never justifies the means. We are curious truth-seekers who do our best to do business in a way that brings love and respect to all the humans and environments around us. We work hard and are mission-focused, creating opportunities for ourselves and others around us. How we fulfill this mission is as important as the vision itself; LIFTE will show our customers, partners, and environment Love, Integrity, Fun, Truth, and Excellence in everything we do.
LIFTE offers very competitive pay, vacation, and benefits with stock options. We are headquartered in Boston, with a subsidiary in Berlin, and are on a rapid growth path that we hope you will consider joining!