Software Architect at LIFTE H2 INC (Boston, MA)
Location: Boston, MA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-29 05:01:19
Position is based in Boston, Massachusetts or Berlin, GermanyApply your software engineering skills to make a difference on climate change.Join LIFTE's rapidly growing and international team. We offer competitive pay, flexible working conditions, stock options, and other great benefits. We are looking for the best. Join us and make a difference where climate meets tech.
The Role: Software Architect
LIFTE's digital platform has two components. The cloud platform built on AWS serverless architecture is responsible for integrating with all the supply chain partners to gather high-quality and reliable data streams from hydrogen equipment and services for real-time processing and validation. Each data point is evaluated with its as-designed, as-built, and as-maintained conditions in mind to calculate any deviations from the equipment's design simulations and identify new behaviors to feed new product developments.
Our clients, partners, and field engineers use LIFTE's web and mobile applications to streamline the hydrogen deployment experience, improve overall safety and efficiency, and elevate the hydrogen industry standards. We have deeply integrated our digital systems with the Codes & Standards team and the Project Deployment team to ensure our software covers the entire end-to-end hydrogen deployment experience.
We strive to achieve the full potential of hydrogen as a decarbonization technology through the power of digitalization in its early stage and aim to make future hydrogen deployments repeatable, faster, safer, and more efficient as the industry matures. By drawing more talent to the cleantech and energy domain, we seek to let more software engineers directly impact decarbonization technologies by tackling the challenges head-on.
The Software Architect will be part of the LIFTE Digital team, reporting to the Head of Digital under the CTO.
As the software architect, you are responsible for the overall technical vision and implementation of the digital platform. You are the technical lead for all software engineers at LIFTE, and as a founding member of the team, you will design, architect, implement, and oversee all of our digital products from start to finish. We expect you to do hands-on programming at no less than 40% of your time and go beyond only providing architectural opinions and drawings. Our ideal software architect will:
- Work with the Head of Digital to translate product roadmaps into technical deliverables while directly interfacing with our clients.
- Create the security & compliance plan for our digital platform utilizing AWS Control Tower features and collaborate with external auditors and enterprise IT departments to provide technical assurance.
- Architect, build, and evolve our platform using AWS serverless services such as Greengrass, IoT, Kinesis, S3, Athena, Lambda, Amplify, and AppSync.
- Create disciplines on the team's engineering culture and practices through extensive documentation and coding standards using tools such as Prettier and ESLint.
- Build and maintain the deployment infrastructure and pipelines through IaC tools like AWS CloudFormation, SAM, and CDK.
- Architect data analytics frameworks to gain insights from hydrogen equipment and services for cross-vendor data validation and product improvements.
- Manage partner and vendor relationships to synchronize technical roadmaps and improve product integrations.
- Plan and lead experiments of new technologies and services to maintain LIFTE's technical advantage as the market leader while contributing to the open-source community wherever possible.
- Perform in-depth code and design reviews for all commits and product designs. We expect you to contribute to design sprints and ensure the smooth integration between product design and software implementation.
- Lead and improve the integration and code-sharing between front and backend products through unified design systems and frameworks.
- Interface with the Standards team to ensure proper data modeling in new and existing hydrogen standards.
- Lead and collaborate with LIFTE IT Operations to continuously improve our internal operations.
- Provide mentorship to team members and manage interns throughout the year.
- Domestic travel at 10% with occasional 10% international travel required.
- Position is based in Boston, Massachusetts or Berlin, Germany
- Flexible combination of virtual and in office working.
- US visa and green card sponsorship based on mutual agreement. You must currently reside in the US to be eligible for this position
- US visa and green card sponsorship based on mutual agreement
Extremely Competitive Benefits Program
- Incentive Stock Options
- Performance-based company profit sharing bonuses
- 401K plan with company match
- Industry leading healthcare coverage: medical, dental, and vision
- Generous time away, including 5 weeks paid vacation for all, regardless of seniority
- Sick Time
- Company-paid life and disability insurance
- 6 Holidays plus 2 floating holidays
- Performance-based company profit sharing bonuses
- Stock options possible
- Betriebliche Altersvorsorge
- Travel, health, and accident insurance
- Competitive and environmentally friendly mobility options paid for by employer
- Family friendly policies
What Experience & Education is Required?
- For US: Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis.
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science or equivalent engineering degree with a solid understanding of computer science required. Background in Mathematics and Physics greatly preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of experience building software systems as a software engineer and at least 3 years of experience designing data-intensive applications.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience working directly with customers on software products. Experience with design sprints and rapid prototyping required.
- Must have 2+ years of experience working with AWS serverless services in production. Experience with high-throughput systems and high performance computing preferred.
- Production experience deploying IoT solutions in industrial settings and familiarity with IoT concepts such as device shadow and edge processing. Prior experience with AWS Greengrass Core and IoT services is greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with industrial sensors, wearable devices, vehicle interfaces, and wireless communication protocols preferred.
- Expertise in software security and compliance. Prior experience with SOC2, ISO27001, and GDPR audits preferred.
- Prior experience in business or statistical analytics preferred.
- Proficiency in languages such as Python, Node.js, C++, Rust, Go, and Kotlin.
What Skills are Necessary for Success?
- Drive for efficiency
- Design thinking mindset
- Superior writing skills
- Deep thinker
- Bias for actions and focus on results
What Qualities are We Looking for?
- Passion: your passion is incorporated in what you do and drives your progress.
- Servant leadership: constant focus on how your work can serve the needs of others.
- A focus on excellence: your work is error-free and complete.
- Good judgment: your recommendations are sound.
- High integrity: do the right thing, especially when no one is looking.
- Community builder: we like each other and want you to be a contributing member of the LIFTE community in whichever way you are uniquely designed. Diversity of thought and approach is important to us.
About LIFTE H2 Inc.
The world needs a green electron and a green molecule for the deep decarbonization of society. Hydrogen is an enabler of increased renewable energy penetration and solves many challenges with logistics, electrical infrastructure build-out, and hard-to-decarbonize sectors such as heavy-duty mobility. Hydrogen for power generation, mobility, and storage is now an accepted reality in many use cases, but the capability to deliver credible infrastructure at scale remains nascent. LIFTE H2 Inc. is poised to accelerate the hydrogen economy through direct action, unparalleled capability, next-gen technology, and partnerships.
LIFTE is a 100% employee-owned company built from the leadership team of one of the world's foremost hydrogen infrastructure multinational corporations, with a vision to accelerate deep decarbonization of society through the use of zero-emission hydrogen. LIFTE is solving the challenge of building supply chains that connect renewably generated hydrogen with customers where and when their operations demand it. We do this safely, at scale, reliably, and profitably.
LIFTE currently focuses on rail, marine, mining, and on-road heavy-duty market sectors. Expansion into power generation, industry, and distribution is part of our growth plan. The founding team uses next-generation technologies in compression, digital, distribution, and dispensing systems in partnership with the world's leading hydrogen technology providers. LIFTE is a supply chain integrator, delivering project-level value to project financiers, public-private partnerships, and project developers worldwide.
LIFTE H2 cares as much about the path taken as the end result; the end never justifies the means. We are curious truth-seekers who do our best to do business in a way that brings love and respect to all the humans and environments around us. We work hard and are mission-focused, creating opportunities for ourselves and others around us. How we fulfill this mission is as important as the vision itself; LIFTE will show our customers, partners, and environment Love, Integrity, Fun, Truth, and Excellence in everything we do.
LIFTE offers very competitive pay, vacation, and benefits with stock options. We are headquartered in Boston, with a subsidiary in Berlin, and are on a rapid growth path that we hope you will consider joining!