Principal Engineer, Full Stack or Back End - help scientists cure cancer faster! at Synthace Ltd. (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-07-30 05:01:30
We're looking for a highly skilled Principal Engineer to play an active part as a technical leader in helping us to continue developing and scaling our products and infrastructure.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, and one of Gartner's 'Cool Vendors in Life Sciences' 2018, Synthace is completely revolutionising biology in a way that has never been done before!
We have created a pioneering automation platform that allows scientists to easily automate experiments on their desired lab equipment, without any programming or automation expertise. Our universal and intuitive interface allows teams to confidently generate complete data sets from as many experiments, with as much complexity, as needed to gain critical scientific insight.
We lower the level of entry for scientists wanting to introduce automation to their work, while allowing specialist technicians to get even more out of the existing equipment in the labs. It is directly contributing to faster, more efficient research into hard to cure diseases such as Cancer.
Following a milestone year in which we grew our annual recurring revenue by 225%, scientists in five out of the top 10 global pharma companies are now using Synthace, as well as other innovators such as Microsoft Research and Oxford Biomedica.
If social impact is important to you, it doesn't get much better than this.
THE TEAM AND THE ROLE
You'll be working within a tight-knit, friendly and collaborative development team on exciting projects with plenty of technical challenges to get your teeth into.
You won't find any micro-management here - we're all about trust, enablement and personal ownership. We give you space and autonomy to solve complex problems, while offering support if/when needed.
We have a clear company vision, and we're building a strategy and roadmap to go around this. Everyone knows how their work directly impacts the goals we're working towards, and everyone's voice is heard.
Followers of best practice will fit in well, but pragmatism is key. We generally take the approach of using the right tool for the job rather than being fixed to any one particular way of doing things.
Our main stack is Go, Typescript, React, NodeJS, GCP, Kubernetes and GraphQL, but you don't necessarily need to have deep experience with these - we're looking for adaptable coders who are curious and who are problem solvers first and foremost.
When it comes to personal development and progression, we operate a parallel track meaning that 'Senior' doesn't have to mean 'people management'. We love promoting from within, and if you do want to learn leadership skills we can support you. However, you have a choice and if your preference is to stay hands-on, you can become a senior 'individual contributor' and help to lead on technical decisions and direction.
If you have a depth of experience writing production-level code in any mainstream language (more than one is even better), and get excited by the prospect of solving some seriously interesting and complex technical problems, get in touch!
In 'normal' times this is primarily an office-based role (2-3 days a week on-site). During lockdowns, we're set up to work remotely.
WHAT YOU COULD BE WORKING ON
We have a range of projects at any one time. Depending on your strengths and interests we have a range of projects to which you could add value (movement to different teams is encouraged over time), including:
- Building infrastructure
- Developing/improving our core user interfaces
- Developing new interfaces, drivers, representations and output processing for various robots, incubators and sophisticated laboratory equipment
- Contributing to the implementation of algorithm optimisation for robot actions and the data processing framework
- Designing, building, testing, and maintaining APIs and services
- Integrating and deploying custom and off-the-shelf software components
- Managing deadlines and priorities in a dynamic environment that blends software and wet-lab development
- Primarily, this is the sort of challenge that will suit you if you enjoy solving hard technical problems and you have a broad range of experience as a software engineer - you've probably worked in different sectors, or had to adapt to different types of challenges
- As a Principal Engineer, you should have experience designing and architecting solutions and advising on technical direction, as well as being an extremely competent coder
- Whether you’re a pure Front Ender, Back Ender, or somewhere in-between, you appreciate clean, well designed models, you know what it takes to build robust, reliable, resilient systems, and you take professional pride in building hardened applications
- You enjoy working in collaborative teams and sharing knowledge - there are no lone wolves here
- Excellent communication skills are also a must - we move fast but we talk to each other to make sure we don't break things
- Having a strong understanding of data structures and algorithms is also extremely useful, although we realise this is less important if you’re from a product/front end development background
WHY JOIN SYNTHACE?
- Work with genuinely extraordinary people
- Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
- Challenging, groundbreaking and exciting work
- Chance to be a part of the 'fourth industrial revolution', helping us to create tools and systems that allow scientists to do things like cure cancer faster!
Salary: £110k-140k + equity, depending on experience Other benefits: 10% pension, private health, and more! Further details available on our careers site (www.synthace.com/careers) Location: West London. In 'normal' times this is primarily an office-based role (2-3 days a week on-site). During lockdowns, we're set up to work remotely.
Our diversity gives us strength. We value the wealth of knowledge, different perspectives and insights that come from having a truly diverse group of amazing colleagues, and an important part of the way we work is based around sharing knowledge with each other. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.