Software Engineer at Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-08 05:00:07
Software Engineer in Release Engineering
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a software engineer to join our team, reporting to the release engineering team. Software engineers on the Release Engineering team steward the developer experience for our technical community.
We build development environments, maintain CI/CD infrastructure, and design tools and processes to support our technical community. We believe in integrity, quality, collaboration, and free and open source software. Release Engineering is a remote team with six people spanning nine time zones.
You are responsible for:
- Deploying Wikipedia and our other wikis
- Helping design our continuous delivery system in GitLab
- Using Docker to build development environments
- Building our automated deployment pipeline
- Upgrading and maintaining Release Engineering tools for our large developer user base:
- CI/CD infrastructure: Jenkins, Zuul, Docker, GitLab
- Code review: GitLab/Gerrit
- Issue tracking: Phabricator
- Deployment tooling: Kubernetes/Helm
- Being a role model for Wikimedia's values
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Written and verbal English communication skills
- Collaboration and consensus-making skills
- Experience with systems/DevOps engineering and software
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery (CI/CD) systems
- Familiarity with server configuration management software (e.g., Ansible, SaltStack, Chef, or Puppet)
- Familiarity with container image maintenance
Qualities that are important to us:
- Professional experience with one or more of the following: Python, Go, PHP
- Experience with Puppet
- Experience with GitLab administration
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Free culture/Free software experience
- Remote work experience
- You are inspired by our guiding principles and our mission
- Familiarity with/involvement in the Wikimedia community
- Located within UTC+3–UTC-8 time zones
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.